Connect with us

Air Quality Monitoring

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Alex Cherian Paul, Dec 19, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Alex Cherian Paul

Alex Cherian Paul

Dec 19, 2016
    I want to measure air quality index both outdoor and indoor on a Real time basis and collect the data to train a neural network.

Can u suggest me some reliable low cost sensors to measure SO2,CO2,NH3,CO ,Particulate Matter 2.5 and Particulate Matter 10.

2. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Unless there are new sensors out there that I don't know about, I don't see how you can do this.
    I've worked air quality monitoring for health departments where I'm at, but we were looking for accurate readings
    and required separate instruments for each pollutant. We used high-volume samples for particulate matter, basically vacuum cleaner motors with particulate filters of the required density. We'd run the hi-vol samplers with controlled ambient air flow intake for a period of 24 hours, and weight the filter catch.
    You didn't mention the accuracy needed on the gas samples. Or anything about your resources.
    Do you have any air quality monitoring stations near you that you can collaborate with to study the results they
    may be logging? Something run by local government or large companies near you that may be monitoring air
    quality from their plant?
    You need equipment with accuracy because you can see wide differences in air quality depending on a lot of variables, and you won't know if you can trust what you read without accurate equipment.
    Are you working for a company with resources, or a college with equipment, or can you check into collaboration
    with air quality monitoring organizations locally?
    Just buying 'reliable low cost sensors' is not going to be something that's easy to do.
    I'd seriously consider collaboration with an organization already involved in this field of study.

davenn likes this.
Ask a Question