Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Air conditioner exhaust touching wall, risk of fire?

computer-joe

Oct 6, 2016
Am i being paranoid, or is there really a chance of my wall catching fire

The exhaust of my portable air conditioner is touching the wall, theres no way to move it forward,

the exhaust hose gets really hot because its exhausting the hot air outside
i had to squish the metal exhaust hose a bit so it would fit
its touching the wall

is it possible it could magically catch on fire?

20180422_165847.jpg

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
No - but the aircon machine might overheat because of the restriction caused by the 'crushed' outlet pipe.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Yeah it's not remotely close to hot enough to cause a fire but that crushed bend at the end may robbing you of efficiency. I would have cut that rigid duct piece shorter so there was more clearance there for a more gradual bend.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I agree with dave9.
The purpose of the duct is to vent the hot air, and restriction of the output vent make the A/C run less efficiency.

KD6DYR

Jun 16, 2012
Yes I agree what Dave is saying is absolutely true and looking at what you have going on with that duct is bad if you keep running it like that it will eventually result in compressor failure. When you don't get the heat out properly the condenser cannot fully condense the refrigerant leaving the compressor thus causing extremely high head pressure and over working the compressor. The harder the compressor has to work the more power it has to consume which can result in another $50.00 - $100.00 per month depending on how much you run the unit and just how high the temperature of the air interning the condenser is. Bottom line I would cut of that solid part of that vent and I would replace that flex vent with a new one and be very careful not to crush kink or dent it. And keep it as straight and short as possible for best results and best efeshincy and longest compressor life.