Maker Pro
Maker Pro

aerial tv signal ampliication?

pookk

Aug 21, 2011
New aerial tv signal [digital,vhf,uhf] in the US. My antenna is high abve roof,properly aimed. Got a 18db amplifier on the tv end which i tried on antenna end already with no diff. Q= Can I connect another amp in series with the first so that 2 amplifiers will boost the signal? & How effective might this be? 18dB boost + 18DB boost = 36 DB total boost? Any concerns over "noise" interference?...........thanx
As is, weather affects some channels sometimes so they dont come in at all.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
A reasonably modern TV will have a good input circuit, probably as good as a booster amplifier. Thus putting a booster amplifier in front of the set will help very little if at all.
A booster amplifier at the aerial however is beneficial. The signal is attenuated in the down cable and boosting to compensate for this loss can help a lot, depending on the cable length and loss/metre. 18dB boost should be plenty.

Weather can affect the signal. If there is high pressure and a temperature inversion, signals can come in from an enormous distance and interfere with the wanted signal. A more directional aerial may help in this case. Rain and snow can absorb UHF signals.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
TV signal

In our house ive put an Arial in the loft, a hi gain type lots of elements, its coupled to a UHF amp to give me a said 40 db gain or so, our country here in the UK has just had the digital switch over from analogue to digital signal, i would check all your coax plugs and joins if any, i don't think adding another amp down line will do either unit much good, if coax and plugs are all ok, go for an amp with a bit more gain, has the Ariel connections been done properly, our units connection box on the antenna does not give much room between braid and core connections, they must not come into contact with each other, or your reception will be terrible. Dave. :) PS if i remove our amplifier and couple up with a female both ends joiner are signal deteriorates considerably to being unwatchable.

Last edited: