Connect with us

advice for project involving led

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by rcwilson, Jun 3, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. rcwilson

rcwilson

Jun 3, 2013
    I'm making a display involving an ultra-violet LED from a Star Wars lightsaber toy. When you push the button on the toy, the led will light and remain lit for about one minute, then automatically shut off. For my project, I'd like the LED to remain lit until switched off. I am new to this kind of thing and apologize for the basic explanation. Any help would be very much appreciated.

2. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    A LED needs to be driven with a specific amount of current. This can be done with just a battery, a switch, the LED, and a current limiting resistor. But you need to know how much current the LED should be driven with, so you can choose the resistor value.

If you can get a part number for the LED, that would be great, because you can download the data sheet and get a lot of information on it. But if you can't, you need to find out how much current it was being driven with in the toy. Can you post a close-up photo of the circuit board that drives the LED? Both sides if possible.

Also, some LEDs are static-sensitive. This means that they can be damaged by electrostatic discharge from voltages that build up on your body, due to friction. You need to take care when handling them. A simple solution is to electrically connect the two terminals of the LED together - you can use tin foil, pressed onto them and wrapped round, or a small paper clip, or whatever you can think of. Keep this in place until the LED has been permanently wired into circuit.

Do you have access to a multimeter?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2013
  3. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    you realise you are not going to visibly see a UV LED ?

Dave

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Hopefully, it is illuminating something flourescent.

Bob

Ask a Question