Connect with us

Advent HD TV - loud ringing - won't turn on

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by PMNILSEN, Jan 30, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. PMNILSEN

PMNILSEN

Jan 30, 2010
    I have an advent hd tv and when i plug it in it just has a high pitched ring and the tv wont turn on. Horizontal output transistor possible problem or something else?

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    I would be checking the switchmode PSU initially. if its possible to disconnect it from the
    cct it supplies (ie its plug/cabled to the rest of the electronics on a separate board)
    do so and check voltages present. look carefully on the circuit board/s for screen printing
    that indicates what voltages are to be found at various testpoints etc :)

Assuming the TV has been working ok for some time prior to this failure ....
    if its a ~ year or so old looking at all electrolytic capacitors especially in the PSU see if
    any are starting to bulge even only slightly .... pretty obvious on the top of them.
    Replace any that are bulging .... they WILL be faulty make sure you use the same
    rated values and paying attention to using 105 C hi temperature caps

Over and over again I replace faulty (cooked) electros in PSU of all sorts of modern gear
    They just dont get enough ventilation and overheat.
    I have LCD computer monitors in for repair that are failing after only 6 months of use

cheers
    Dave
    VK2TDN

Ask a Question