Connect with us

Adding volume control to stereo

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by Brent, Jan 20, 2004.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Brent

    Brent Guest

    My mom has a late 80's sounddesign stereo that has two separate
    sliders for L/R volume. It's hard to control so I want to add a knob,
    and have it combined for the L/R channels. I need a pot right? How
    do I know what size to use?

    Will any of these work?
  2. I imagine you have no diagram so the best thing would be to see what values
    are used on the existing controls.
  3. JeffM

    JeffM Guest

  4. Ross Mac

    Ross Mac Guest

    You could go a couple ways here. First you could post this one to and find someone with a schematic and pick your parts
    from there. Or you could just measure the resistance with an ohmmeter and do
    a best guess on the wattage. Then purchase a good quality pot with dual
    wipers or a step attenuator would be nice too. Model numbers might help a
    lot also. Does that help at all ??.......good luck, Ross
  5. Quack

    Quack Guest

    pull the wires of one channel's slider and attach 'em to the other -
    wouldnt that then control both with the 1 ?
    or if you want the l/r balance to stay usable - then even pulling them
    both to a single pot wont help you.
  6. You use a dual pot with a single shaft. It has to be an audio taper,
    or a "log" pot. The resistance of the old pots should be marked on the
    body. 10K, 20 K 50K and 100K are common values for a volume control.
  7. Ross Mac

    Ross Mac Guest

    Ah yes, the audio taper...forgot to add that!!
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day