Maker Pro
Maker Pro

adding some diodes to the input of a 3 terminal regulator

I have a project that's using an LM2940-5V regulator with a source voltage of 9-12v. I'm pulling around 500ma through it, which is generating a lot of heat on the regulator.

I'm wondering if I can just add a few IN400x diodes to the input of the regulator to drop the voltage and reduce the heat dissipation. Good idea? Bad idea?

L

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Jan 1, 1970
I have a project that's using an LM2940-5V regulator with a source voltage of 9-12v. I'm pulling around 500ma through it, which is generating a lot of heat on the regulator.

I'm wondering if I can just add a few IN400x diodes to the input of the regulator to drop the voltage and reduce the heat dissipation. Good idea? Bad idea?

you can, it will just move some of the dissipation from the regulator to the diodes

-Lasse

How come you can't use a heat sink?

P

Phil Allison

Jan 1, 1970
I have a project that's using an LM2940-5V regulator
with a source voltage of 9-12v. I'm pulling around
500ma through it, which is generating a lot of heat
on the regulator.

I'm wondering if I can just add a few IN400x diodes
to the input of the regulator to drop the voltage and
reduce the heat dissipation. Good idea? Bad idea?

** To avoid heat, you could put a few NiCd or NiMH cells in series with the
supply and reg IC and charge them.

..... Phil

How come you can't use a heat sink?

I was trying to find a clever way to cheat. It sounds like the heat has to be dissipated, if not in the 3 terminal regulator than in the diodes (so I might as well stick with just the regulator). Next time I'll design a switching regulator into the board!

A

amdx

Jan 1, 1970

Can you get to the AC input? Probably not, but if...

Use a nonpolarized capacitor in series between the secondary and the
bridge.
Calculation is beyond my ability, but experiment until you have enough
overhead to feel comfortable. Speaker crossover caps work fine, and can
be paralleled for low ESR and proper value. My starting point; I'd start
with 40 uf and see which way to go.
Mikek

R

rickman

Jan 1, 1970
That thing has a dropout voltage of about .5V it seems.
So stay above 6 on the imput, do not forget bottom ripple...
But it would ruin line regulation....

Maybe get the TO-220 version and / or a small heatsink?

Else use a switcher.

Maybe I missed something. How would adding diodes to the input of the
regulator ruin line regulation? A resistor might make some impact since
it would produce a change in voltage with a change in current and some
of that would appear at the output, although not so much really. But a
diode is essentially a constant voltage device once biased on with very
small changes in voltage drop with large changes in current. So how
would this mess up line regulation as long as you keep the voltage above
the dropout requirement?

R

rickman

Jan 1, 1970

If you are using a TO-220 type device with leads, you can replace it
with a switching regulator in a similar package. CUI makes them, sold
by Digikey, for most output voltages including +5v of course. I use
them in a test fixture and they seem to work well, even with a lower
dropout voltage than the spec requires. I'm running 5 and 12 volt
outputs from a 15 volt input, saves a lot of power.

W

whit3rd

Jan 1, 1970

Somewhat, this depends on the source: is that a regulated, or just a filtered 9-12V?
To shed heat outside the regulator, you could either put a resistor between the
source and regulator input, or a resistor/capacitor parallel pair, if surges are expected.
A 1W diode and its mounting/heatsink is more expensive than a 1W resistor and its mounting.
The voltage drop on the resistor has a higher dV/dI than an equivalent string of
diodes, though.

Thinking outside the box, you could go to a lower-current regulator and a PNP transistor,
with some current-sharing resistors, and move most of the heat dissipation into the
transistor (assuming the transistor can take higher temperatures than the IC regulator).
There's also the possibility of adding a choke to the AC into your source rectifiers, which
will drop V without dissipating power.

Somewhat, this depends on the source: is that a regulated, or just a filtered 9-12V?
To shed heat outside the regulator, you could either put a resistor between the
source and regulator input, or a resistor/capacitor parallel pair, if surges are expected.

Some three terminal regulators are quite sensitive to any input
resistors, since they start to oscillate. To eliminate this, a big
capacitor directly at regulator input to ground is required.

Put the resistor/diode/choke between the rectifier bridge and the main
reservoir capacity, so the capacitor is next to the regulator input.
A 1W diode and its mounting/heatsink is more expensive than a 1W resistor and its mounting.
The voltage drop on the resistor has a higher dV/dI than an equivalent string of
diodes, though.

Thinking outside the box, you could go to a lower-current regulator and a PNP transistor,
with some current-sharing resistors, and move most of the heat dissipation into the
transistor (assuming the transistor can take higher temperatures than the IC regulator).
There's also the possibility of adding a choke to the AC into your source rectifiers, which
will drop V without dissipating power.

Choke input power supplies (or C-L-C) were popular in the tube
rectifier era, since tube rectifier could not handle huge peak
currents into a simple big capacitor. The choke in L-C or C-L-C
configuration extended the conduction angle and the average DC voltage
was close to the secondary RMS voltage.

Unfortunately the choke at 100/120 Hz needed to be big and heavy and
needed to also handle DC current (air gap), so it is understandable
that chokes are seldom used these days.

R

Robert Baer

Jan 1, 1970

Total heat dissipation will be the same; all that would do is
distribute the heat sources.
Want more efficiency and less heat generation?
Use a switcher.