Connect with us

Adding new components to LTSPICE

add models and subcircuits from other sources

1. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Harald Kapp submitted a new resource:

Adding new components to LTSPICE - add models and subcircuits from other sources

Read more about this resource...

2. Supercap2F

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
    Hello Harald!

I was having some trouble figuring out how to add components to LTspice. Do you mind if I ask here, or would you like me to start a new tread?

Thanks for your time!!! :)
    Dan

3. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    Hello Dan,
    it's o.k. here, you may not be the only one having trouble and what we find out may help others, too.

Supercap2F likes this.
  4. Supercap2F

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
    OK, thanks Harald! :)

Now I'm trying to add a LM2901 and a LM2902 to it (op-amps). I found a Pspice model for the LM2901 here and the LM2902 here. Will Pspice models work with LTspice? Or do I need something else?

Thanks again!! :)
    Dan

5. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    At a first glance these models look like standard SPICE models. I'm not aware of any PSPICE specialties. These are subcircuits, so you need to use the "Adding a new component (subcircuit) to the LTSPICE library (example: SIOV varistor)" part of my ressource. Give it a try. Any feedback is welcome.

Supercap2F likes this.
  6. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    I had some spare moments and could use the supplied SPICE models in LTSPICE without problem.
    Note that these comparators have an open drain output. You will need a pull-up resistor to the positive supply for operation.

Supercap2F likes this.
  7. Supercap2F

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
    Hey Harald!

OK, cool! I just hope I can do it too. :)

OK, no probs.

Just so you know I am 100% new to this LTspice stuff... So if you don't mind, I'm going to need you to walk me through each step. But I will try to do as much as I can myself, to safe you some time.:)

OK, I have got that with the Pspice file right?

What do you mean by library? Do I need something more then just the Pspice file?

Thanks for helping me figure this out! I'm really thankful.:)
    Dan

8. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    The files you linked are plain SPICE files, not PSPICE specific. They work fine for me.

A library is nothing more than a collection of SPICE models (or subcircuits) in one single file. SInce the links point to files with just one model within, this file is a "library" with just one element.

Supercap2F likes this.
  9. Supercap2F

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
    Hey Harald!

OK, I will just start calling them SPICE files then. :)

Ohhhh OK, I think I get it now.

One last thing before I move on: when I downloaded the SPICE model from ST semi it saved itself as a .txt file on my computer. Can I use a .txt file for the model in LTspice, or do I need to convert it to something else?

Thanks again!! :)
    Dan

10. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    .txt is fine - as it is plain text.
    If you like and find it useful, you can rename it to .lib (for example).

By the way: Did you know that by opening a SPICE source file (.txt or .lib, it doesn't matter) in LTSPICE, you get the bonus of a little bit of syntax highlioghting?

FuZZ1L0G1C and Supercap2F like this.
  11. Supercap2F

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
    Well after reading your resource a couple more times and doing some googling, I was able to get the models working very good in LTspice. :)

Thanks Harald! You really helped me out a lot. :)
    Dan

12. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    Good to hear :)

13. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Keep this up and your going to get yourself banned on any forum you visit.
    You not offering anything to the original poster. Your simply spamming a video

14. FuZZ1L0G1C

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
    Thanks for sharing this invaluable resource, Harald.
    As a new user of LT-Spice XVII and Diptrace, I was about to start flooding the forum with questions. Now I can first browse the resource to raise my "CAD IQ" a bit.
    I see exciting potential for future simulation / design once more literate.... :)
    Clive.

Ask a Question