Connect with us

Adding Load to a DC Circuit

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by darryldog2000, Apr 25, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. darryldog2000

darryldog2000

Apr 25, 2012
    I would like to replace the turn signals on my motorcycle with LED lights.. When I do this the bike senses that the lights are out or malfunctioning. This is because the LED use much less current than the regular bulbs and the bike thinks the lights are out. How do I introduce a load so that this will not happen. I can buy a module that will do this but I would like to eliminate this need by adding a load at each light. I tried it with resistors to no avail. Any advice?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    A resistor at each bulb is what most do, as it works and is not overly complicated... This is not an uncommon thing as many people are doing LED upgrades, there is lots of info to be found in a Google search on the subject...

3. timothy48342

timothy48342

Nov 28, 2011
    I would bet that CocaCola is correct in that, but I just want to chime in and say that the biggest reason to switch from any kind of incandescent to any kind of LED is mostly conservation. (Reduced power consumption, less replacement...)

When it comes to the reduction in power consumption, (energy) I would think:

#1 Try to trick the bike to think nothing is wrong with a resistor using the smallest resistor to do the trick.

#2 Find another way to trick it. By dumping some power to trick it you are at least partially defeating one of the main reasons to switch away from incandescents.

Of course, if switching to LEDs has other benifits, then do it an do whatchagottado.

I don't know your bike. I don't know much. But maybe there is another way. I am thinking (hoping) there is some way to power the lights without just draining extra power.

Of course, you'll still get the benafit of less bulb replacement by using LED instead of incandescents.
    -tim

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Sadly this is usually part of the solid state flasher and/or computer system... For many vehicles they do sell 'LED' flasher replacement modules or if the on board computer has been cracked you can hack the on board computer to turn off blown bulb warnings... But these fixes can be costly or impracticable in many cases vs just using a resistor...

Also consider that when running the bike is almost certainly producing an overage of power to charge the battery, so the waste is really insignificant overall...

I personally switched over to all LEDs on my bike because the damn v-twin would shake the hell out of regular bulbs and I was getting anywhere from days to a few months out of certain bulbs... Not fun to be out in the middle of no where at night when lights start blowing... I designed a few custom LED replacement boards and it's been years now with no issues... I also included a few auto-flashing/rolling RGB LEDs on the board that are on the brake circuit, so now the brake light has a slight 'wave' or 'rolling pulse' effect and thus is more evident to the people behind you... A subtle effect but very eye catching...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  5. darryldog2000

darryldog2000

Apr 25, 2012
    CocaCola - Would you be willing to send me a schematic for your design? I'd love to build one but I don't have the expertise to design one.

6. darryldog2000

darryldog2000

Apr 25, 2012
    Thanks Tim. My reason for replacing the bulbs is the brightness. The LEDs are much brighter. I haven't had much problem with bulbs burning out but if that is a benefit too then Great!

Ask a Question