Connect with us

Adding dual-voltage to an SPS?

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by DaveC, Jun 28, 2004.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    I've got a battery charger for a power tool. Input voltage is spec'd at only
    120 VAC.

    Is it reasonable to think about modifying the switching p.s. to encompass 240
    VAC as well? Or might one simply design an entire new one more easily (not
    that I'd even consider doing that...)?

    What's involved in modifying such a supply?

  2. Ken Taylor

    Ken Taylor Guest

    Buy a stepdown transformer. Attempting to modify the existing supply is not
    a reasonable proposition unless you know how to design switching supplies.

  3. Sofie

    Sofie Guest

    --------- -- -----------------
  4. Only easy solution would be if it already has a doubler/bridge input
    with a jumper to select 115 VAC (in) or 230 VAC (out). This would mean
    the chipper runs off ~300 VDC. If it runs off of ~150 VDC, probably no easy

    --- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page:
    Repair | Main Table of Contents:
    +Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
    | Mirror Site Info:

    Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
    To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.
  5. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    Sam, I always appreciate your instructional answers. In this case, it was, to
    paraphrase, "Don't do it unless it's an easy mod, such as...".

    I tire so of responses such as "You fool! You will die!", which may be true,
    but that's my responsibility, isn't it. I want to know *why*, which you

    Thanks again, Sam, for another *educated* answer.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day