Connect with us

Adding a timer somehow to a 12v solenoid

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by swedespeed7, Feb 7, 2018.

1. swedespeed7

swedespeed7

Apr 3, 2015
    Hi guys! I have a question about a project I'd like to modify. Currently, I have a DC 24v solenoid that consumes about 4.8 watts (NC) that opens when a button is pressed, and closes when said button is released. However, I would like to add a second button to the same circuit that, when pressed once, opens the solenoid for about 10 seconds, then closes it automatically. I would still like the first button to function as it does now if possible.

How can I accomplish this? Thank you!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  2. KMoffett

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
    Details please? What voltage (AC?...DC?) and current for the solenoid? Assume just a series circuit?: 12V > switch > solenoid > 12V return

Ken

3. swedespeed7

swedespeed7

Apr 3, 2015
    So sorry about that, made an error too! Edited my original post. It's DC 24v actually, consumes 4.8 watts when open. Series circuit should be fine.

4. KMoffett

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
    If a series circuit is how it's arranged, is the PB switch in the +24V -to- solenoid wire, or solenoid -to- -24V wire?

Ken

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  5. swedespeed7

swedespeed7

Apr 3, 2015
    It's currently hooked up to the +24v wire.

6. KMoffett

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
    Monostable-Relay IRF9520.jpg OK, here is a version of circuits I've used for simple timed (monostable) relay switches. You would need to play with R1 and C1 for the exact timing. Pressing the new push button switch will turn on the solenoid. The timing will start after you let up on the push button.

Ken

7. swedespeed7

swedespeed7

Apr 3, 2015
    That's awesome, thank you. Not sure I understand all of that, but I'll try and work my way through it. Any good resources for learning how to build something like this?

8. KMoffett

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
  9. swedespeed7

swedespeed7

Apr 3, 2015
  10. swedespeed7

swedespeed7

Apr 3, 2015
    Or would that type not work since it has a delay on feature as well as delay off? Do I want one with delay off only?

11. KMoffett

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
    No. Those are "on/off" cycle timer. When running it goes On...OFF...ON...OFF...forever.

The delivery time on mine may be long, but I don't see a better source.

Ken

12. swedespeed7

swedespeed7

Apr 3, 2015
    Thanks! I went with the eBay one, will report back if it works. You rock, thanks for all of your help!!

13. swedespeed7

swedespeed7

Apr 3, 2015
    OK, relay module finally arrived. I bought 2 of them just in case. The input side of it works fine, pot works great, good time adjustment. However, I'm getting absolutely nothing on the output/load side, verified with voltmeter. I can hear the relay clicking on but it's not pushing any voltage through to the load side. Any suggestions? Could both be defective??

14. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    More likely you wired it incorrectly.

The relay's common and NO contacts should be wired across your original switch.

Bob

15. swedespeed7

swedespeed7

Apr 3, 2015
    You are a genius and I am an idiot! Thank you, it works flawlessly now.

16. swedespeed7

swedespeed7

Apr 3, 2015
    Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to you guys, this solution is still working great. You guys rock!

Ask a Question