Connect with us

Add a switch to an AC/DC power supply?

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by Moordikai, Jan 15, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Moordikai

Moordikai

Jan 15, 2013
    I would like to add a switch to a power supply. The power supply I'm using has a cylinder in the line. I don't know what this is or what it does. Any clarification would be great. When I'm adding the switch does it matter which side of the cylinder it goes on?

I will upload some pictures when I get access to my laptop.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks for your time.

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    The switch should be on the mains side of the power cord, before any other components.

3. pwdixon

pwdixon

Oct 14, 2012
    It could be that this "cylinder" is a fuse perhaps?

4. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
  5. Moordikai

Moordikai

Jan 15, 2013
    Power Supply Images

Here are the images I've got. Thanks for the feed back.

adapter_1.jpg

adapter_2.jpg

6. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    I see. We thought the cylinder was in the "line" between the mains plug and the power supply, but it's actually a plug-in adapter and the cylinder is in the DC cable.

The cylinder is a ferrite interference suppressor. You can insert a switch on either side of it, whichever you prefer.

Switching the power supply OFF with a switch in the DC cable will kill the power to the equipment, but it will not completely switch the power supply OFF - the power supply will still be running and will consume a certain amount of power from the mains.

Your switch needs to break one of the wires. The other wire should go straight through the switch. (Or you can switch both of them, but this is not necessary.) You need an in-line switch. You can get these with a small enclosure included.

7. Moordikai

Moordikai

Jan 15, 2013
    Fantastic. Thanks for the help. I'll try to post pictures of my final project, but it'll be a few weeks before I'm done.

Ask a Question