Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Adapter 12V-60W Split output?

w1ckd

Sep 13, 2014
Hi All,

this is proberly a very stupid question however for me a riddle :)

i have two devices that use both 60W, one of the adapters broke down (Picked it up when it was hot and it poofed?)

Now could i split the cabel from the adapter that is working and use that for both of the devices?
so like split the output, so that i could plug it into both the devices? or will the output then be halfed?

Hope you guys can help me out :)

Kind regards,
Robert

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If the power supply is capable of powering a single device consuming 60W, then two such devices will require 120W. 120W is more than 60W and the power supply will be grossly overloaded.

The second one will probably also go Poof!

w1ckd

Sep 13, 2014
that does indeed make logic,

Thank you very much for the quik responce :)

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
that does indeed make logic,

Thank you very much for the quik responce :)
Replacement power supplies can be made or found that can be pretty cost effective. 12V, 60W will most likely be higher than a RadioShack or TheSource will carry. To get 60W, you will need a 12V power supply that can provide at least 5Amps. Give yourself a little extra headroom to be safe, as some devices will pull more when they start up.
If you find something let us know.

Things to look for a replacement:
-Voltage MUST be exactly 12V
-Amperage MUST be 5A or higher.
-Power MUST be 60W or higher.

*Voltage MUST be listed on the power supply.
*Items in blue may not list both on a power supply. Power supply should have one or the other marked.

w1ckd

Sep 13, 2014
Thank you for the info Gryd3,

As i was looking for a replacement adapter i came across a different method to power the device:
https://buyahash.com/shop/molex-4-pin-gridseed-power-plug-2-1mm-dc-barrel-plug/

As the device is standing next to my pc i could use a connector from the pc PCU which also feeds 12Volts, I couldnt however figure out if it outputs 5 amps (Will buy a multimeter tommorow)

However if this company makes these connectors i assume they measured the output and should be all good.

Connecting the "Molex" and the connector to the device shouldnt be a problem.

Thank you again for the supports.

Kind regards,
R

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Thank you for the info Gryd3,

As i was looking for a replacement adapter i came across a different method to power the device:
https://buyahash.com/shop/molex-4-pin-gridseed-power-plug-2-1mm-dc-barrel-plug/

As the device is standing next to my pc i could use a connector from the pc PCU which also feeds 12Volts, I couldnt however figure out if it outputs 5 amps (Will buy a multimeter tommorow)

However if this company makes these connectors i assume they measured the output and should be all good.

Connecting the "Molex" and the connector to the device shouldnt be a problem.

Thank you again for the supports.

Kind regards,
R
A Desktop Power supply should be able to output more than 5Amps on the 12V line so that should work fine.
There are some potential issues though that you should keep in mind.

The actual output capability should be written on the PSU.
If the capability is too low, the computer may consume too much, and not allow for an extra 5A to be pulled to power your other device.
If your other device causes noise on the 12V line, or pushes the computer's power supply too close to the limit, you may experience an unstable computer that crashes or expectingly shuts down.
A multi-meter is a bad tool to use to determine the maximum Amperage that a power supply can deliver. The result is 'shorting' out the power supply which could cause it to shut-down or cause damage. This tool is great to determine how much current something is actually using though. For the sake of using a multi-meter to measure current, think of it like a jumper cable. If you connect a jumper cable from the positive and negative line you can damage something. You can however use this 'jumper cable' to connect a device to a power supply to find out what is being pulled.