Connect with us

Active Directory integrated Hardware uC project

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers, Programming and IoT' started by uengin, Sep 14, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. uengin

uengin

Sep 21, 2009
    Hello Everyone,
    I want to build a device that is plugged in to computer which is part of a Windows Domain via USB to get the status of the user currently logged-in in the unified communications status. The status which in Lync shows up as online, away, busy and do-not-disturb.

I wish to utilise a microcontroller (not chosen yet) to build my device are unsure as to the requirement of how to communicate with the Active Directory server in this context and therefore are unsure what capabilities I need on the uC.

This sounds like a lot of firmware involved just from the concept point of view, and I can appreciate this, any help, ideas and direction you can give would be appreciated. Looking forward to your feedback.

Thanks everyone.

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    I doubt that you will be able to communicate from a µC (your "device")directly to the active directory server with reasonable effort.

Anyway, if the µC were to communicate directly with the server, how would it get the information for the PC (which is, from the server's point of view, a different computer)? I think it has to be the PC that requests the information and forwards it to the µC.
    I suggest you run a little program on the PC that gets the status as required and sends the information to the µC.

Use a USB port for communication between PC and µC. Instead of full USB, use a serial emulation over USB (lots of chips and kits available) which presents a virtual COM port to the software on the PC. A virtual COM port is a lot easier to handle from the PC side and the µC side as full USB.

The "device" can then be any µC with the suitable hardware around it. If you don't want to build it from scratch, use a module like e.g. arduino, beaglebone, Rasberyy Pi etc.

Oh, wait, the RasPi runs Linus, so you may

Ask a Question