Connect with us

Acer Aspire 4310 laptop power shut off after 2 seconds

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by mikey5791, Nov 4, 2018.

1. mikey5791

mikey5791

Jun 7, 2013
    Hi all,

I have been using this laptop since 2007 without any issue. I have not added any hardware or install software since.
    Two days ago, when i switched on ac power as usual, the power led lit for 2 seconds and it shuts off without going
    to bios. The cpu fan doesn't even spin. The charger is checked to be normal at dc 19v.

I had tried opened up the case and found nothing looked burned on the motherboard. Anyone here can suggest

on how to diagnose no power step by step is appreciated. I will upload some pictures of the board later.

Attached Files:

2. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Try a new charger - it may show 19V but does it show 19V when under full load conditions?

Is the battery properly seated. Does it work? Some laptops require a good, working battery in order to power up.

davenn likes this.
  3. mikey5791

mikey5791

Jun 7, 2013
    Hi, i tried a different charger for Acer laptop. It is still the same 2 second shut off.
    Fyi, this laptop can work alone on ac power while the battery is unplugged. Thanks for your comment. I still not able to upload
    Pictures or jpg photo since my camera at normal setting save jpg at about 1.65 mb. Any ideas how to upload??

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2018
  4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Use an image manipulation program, e.g. GIMP, to reduce the size of the image file. Or set the camera to lower resolution.

5. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    Good point. This and the correct seatig of the memoy modules is discussed e.g. here. A new battery was teh remedy in that case.

6. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    That sounds like a reasonable suggestion.

Normally, a dead battery simply won't charge, but it's possible that yours has a fault which pulls down the power supply and causes a rapid shutdown.

7. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    I'm sorry for not being completely clear. My reference is to the BIOS battery, a CR2032 or similar.According to post #3 this laptop doesn't even require the main battery for operation.

8. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    In that case I'd suspect the main battery has come to the end of its useful life. Even if the laptop works without a battery, the BMS may be shutting down the laptop as a safety measure to prevent chargibg of a faulty battery.

9. mikey5791

mikey5791

Jun 7, 2013
    Fyi, after reading your replies, i checked the bios battery and it reads just 0.19v which no doubt is dead.
    I changed to a new CR2032 by solder the old battery tab to this new one. Switched on ac power and
    press on power but it still shut off after 2 seconds.

Ask a Question