Connect with us

Accurate temperature control for water heater.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Mick tozer, Dec 24, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Mick tozer

Mick tozer

Dec 24, 2017
    Hi,this is my first post,I'm looking to make a small heated water bath to accurately warm and temper chocolate,sweets are my hobby...the commercial tempering machines are quite expensive,so I wondered if it would be possible to build a simple control circuit with a sensor,then I wondered if I would have to modulate the heater rather than just on/off...the problem with chocolate tempering is it needs to be very accurate,a couple of degrees makes s difference,would appreciate any thoughts. I'm an ex engineer and now a plumber,but my electronic knowledge is sketchy! Thanks.

2. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Modulating the heater shouldn't be necessary given the latency of the liquid you're heating but consider having a circulation system to thoroughly 'mix' the liquid being heated.

Either way there are numerous thermostats (electronic) that can manage the control process - they usually (but not always, so check) come with the relevant temperature sensor.

I have a junk box digital controller I bought via eBay (Chinese delivery) that is programmable for upper and lower limits, hysteresis etc that cost me (IIRC) around $20.

3. Mick tozer

Mick tozer

Dec 24, 2017
    Thanks Kelly,I'll do a check on ebay.

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The answer is a sous vide machine.

There are various immersion type sous vide heaters that include circulating pumps. These devices typically have PID controllers and accuracy to a fraction of a degree.

One of my colleagues used his sous vide cooker for tempering chocolate quite frequently.

Edit: obviously (I hope) with this method you put the chocolate in a bag, all of these methods keep a water bath at a highly consistent temperature.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  5. Mick tozer

Mick tozer

Dec 24, 2017
    Wow! That's brilliant Steve,I've heard them mentioned on cooking programs,sounds like the way to go,especially with the accurate temp control.

Ask a Question