Maker Pro
Maker Pro

AC Wave Power Analysis Problem [IT'S URGENT]:D

madmax.santana

Oct 29, 2009
I am analyzing an AC signal of 220V rms and 60Hz frequency. I have to clip the wave from below, i.e. eliminating the negative cycle (using simple half-wave rectifier). Then I have to clip it from above as well. I have to clip it from above as well. Clipping from below was easy. But while clipping from above I have to make certain that I apply such a biasing voltage to the rectifier that the power of the signal remains 10W across a 484Ohm resistor.

For the resulting waveform, I have to calculate the value of biasing voltage, i.e. the amplitude threshold of the wave so that the power across the resistor of 484Ohm remains 10W. Any ideas, please?

madmax.santana

Oct 29, 2009
Here is a minor representation of what I have explained above. The figure explains only a clipped sine wave. For the bottom wave what must be the value of a0 (amplitude threshold) for which the output power across a 484Ohm resistance is 10W.

dblclipsin.jpg

cj_elec_tech

Oct 7, 2009
Power = Volts x Amps (my Dad taught me this eons ago...)
and
Amps = Volts / Resistance (from Ohms Law)
so via substitution
Power = Volts squared / Resistance
rearranging the formula for volts gives
Volts = squareroot(Power x Resistance)
so
V = sqr(10 x 484) = 69.6 volts (approximately)

Hope this helps (or have I completely missed the point of your question?) ;)

CJ

madmax.santana

Oct 29, 2009
Power = Volts x Amps (my Dad taught me this eons ago...)
and
Amps = Volts / Resistance (from Ohms Law)
so via substitution
Power = Volts squared / Resistance
rearranging the formula for volts gives
Volts = squareroot(Power x Resistance)
so
V = sqr(10 x 484) = 69.6 volts (approximately)

Hope this helps (or have I completely missed the point of your question?) ;)

CJ

Haha! Thanks buddy! I know that already. What I don't know is, how to calculate the value of an amplitude threshold in clipped wave for which the resulting r.m.s value of voltage shall be 69.6 Volts (Approximately). If you could answer that would be really nice of you!

madmax.santana

Oct 29, 2009
I got a further better representation of my problem. :) Just added a not specifying "WHAT" in diagram. Here:
diagramx.jpg

Last edited: