Connect with us

ac to dc converter with speed control

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by hoolko, Nov 20, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. hoolko

hoolko

Mar 14, 2013
    can anyone help me? ive attached a picture....this is an ac to dc converter with speed control for a dc motor...it came with no instructions and ive never seen one like this....do I wire my motor to the armature or excitation? thanks,Nick

Attached Files:

2. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    It might help if we knew what 'dc motor' you plan to use.

3. hoolko

hoolko

Mar 14, 2013
    thank you kindly....it is 17 pound high torque....90vdc....1/4 hp....2.9 amp....i can attach pic if needed...thank you for your time very much,Nick

4. OLIVE2222

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
  5. brevor

brevor

Apr 9, 2013
    Since your motor has only 2 wires they should connect to the armature.

6. jpanhalt

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
    How many wires to the motor? If only two, then they go to the armature terminals. If there is a separate ground wire, it goes to ground.

The two wires of a permanent magnet motor will go to the armature connections. A shunt-wound motor may have just 2 wires, which go to the armature. If the field of a shunt wound motor is accessible, then the field wires goes to the field/excitation. The two wires to an AC/DC motor goes to the armature.

Here is a manual from a motor controller for shunt, PM, and AC/DC series motors: http://www.kbelectronics.com/manuals/kbic_manual.pdf

John

7. hoolko

hoolko

Mar 14, 2013
    ok....im advised to connect my motor in 2 different ways.....any other input from members? thanks, Nick

thank you so much John and brevor....i really appreciate your time and effort....sincerely, Nick

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  8. jpanhalt

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
    What other advice? Both brevor and I gave the same advice, I think. I was a little more wordy. That's why it took me a minute longer. ;)

John

9. hoolko

hoolko

Mar 14, 2013
    ok, i just connected to the armature only and the speed control does not work.. the motor is running full at the 1750 rpm rating.....any other suggestions? ive messaged the seller i wish to return this item as there seems no simple hookup thanks everyone, Nick

10. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    You had the same advice from brevor and jpanhalt.

I also gave the same information in your duplicate thread.

There is a minimum speed control, have you set this correctly?

Ask a Question