Connect with us

AC Theory Help

Discussion in 'Electronics Homework Help' started by Alexluckham, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Alexluckham

Alexluckham

Jul 17, 2015
    Can someone please give me some guidance with this, it is the last question of the entire unit and I am literally banging my head on the wall, I am a mechanical engineer, but have to do electrical as part of the course and I find it really hard to get to grips with. I have recreated the circuit below using falstad circuit simulator but I can't seem to work out how to actually get it to give me the input and output waveforms. Once the waveforms are shown, how do I actually measure them to get the amplitude and time period? thank you for reading and any help in advance!

Construct
    the circuit shown below using Multisim or on Locktronics.

c. Use an Oscilloscope to monitor and display the input waveform and output waveforms. Record oscilloscope amplitude and time base settings.

d. Measure the amplitude of both waveforms, the time-period for both waveforms and then calculate the phase difference.

upload_2015-7-17_12-48-53.png

2. Ratch

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
    What do you want us to do? We cannot give you a course on how to operate the circuit simulator. Similarly, we cannot give you a course on how to use the oscilloscope. Do you have any specific questions on how to use those tools?

3. Alexluckham

Alexluckham

Jul 17, 2015
    Hi Ratch, thank you for replying. My lecturer has told me to use free circuit simulator software called falstad and I have recreated what I believe to be the circuit as provided above but when I right click onto the capacitor and the resistor and select 'view in scope' the waves are so close together you cant actually see the waves properly and I cant see a way to alter it on the simulator and it makes me think Ive done something wrong in recreating the circuit, but I'm sure its right?

Attached Files:

4. Ratch

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
    I can show you how to calculate and plot the waveforms, but I never used Falstad. Perhaps others can help you use that particular simulator.

Ratch

5. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    You need to increase the resolution of the time scale for this "measurement".

The frequency is 1kHz, therefore the period of your signal is 1/1kHz=1ms. The horizontal resolution of the "scope" is currently set to 10ms/div, which means that 10 full sine waves fit into one division. Absolutely unsuitable for measuring the phase difference. Set the resolution to 1ms/div or less to see the difference in phase between the signals you watch. From teh measured difference in time calculate the difference in phase.
    Unfortunately I can't tell you how to make these settings in your simulator.

Ask a Question