Connect with us

AC Power transmision

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Dezmond, Mar 26, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Dezmond

Dezmond

Mar 26, 2013
    Hi
    I have a little project where i need to transmit about 1.5kw over 500m into a rectifier and then into an inverter for power generation (to reduce volt drop)

input voltage is about 230v ish
    my idea was to step up to about 1000v and step down again to around 200v
    i have 10mm SWA allready available in the ground

any ideas if this can be done low cost ?? and if so where i could get the components

Thanks D

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    In principle you can use simple transformers. But they would have to be biiiiiig.

Beware: Above 380 V (rms, three phase) new rules come into effect with regard to safety (creepage distances, air gaps, insulation etc.)!

As I understand it your cable is 3*10mm^2 steel wired armour, right?
    10mm^2 cable has a resistance of approx. 0.00325Ohm/m. 500m to and fro makes 1km, so the total resistance of your cable is approx.3.25Ohm.
    Your load is [email protected] This translates to a resistance of 35 Ohm. Without any additional measures you loose 10% along the cable. Couldn't you tolerate that?

3. Dezmond

Dezmond

Mar 26, 2013
    transmition

I was hopping for a nice easy answer but nothing is that easy

The cable is a 2 core using 1 phase
    a drop of 10% is 24v so if i could improve that would be better

Their is a bit of mis match at the output end, we are using hydro with a 230v AC generator attached. im now upgrading the system and attempting to match a SMA inverter to its output.

Previously the DC output was tied onto the batteries.

Ask a Question