Maker Pro
Maker Pro

ac motor control

Harry W Storey

Oct 26, 2015
Hello all, I'm brand new to this forum and I hope someone on here can help me.
I am making a 'fishing rod turner' (this helps me tie new guides on a fishing rod and with drying time).
I have a small 230vac 4w motor (cw/ccw) that I wish to control. I would like to make sure the motor goes in a clockwise direction and at varying speeds via a potentiometer. Is this possible? I would like to contain the components in a plastic switch box about 100 x 100 x 35mm.
Harry

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Welcome to EP!
Can you post the motor type/number? Some motors (e.g. microwave turntable) start in a random direction so would not be suitable; nor would synchronous motors be (as their speed is essentially fixed).

Harry W Storey

Oct 26, 2015
Welcome to EP!
Can you post the motor type/number? Some motors (e.g. microwave turntable) start in a random direction so would not be suitable; nor would synchronous motors be (as their speed is essentially fixed).

Harry W Storey

Oct 26, 2015
Thanks for the quick response. Mmmm my motor is synchronous and is a microwave motor. What are my options?

Harry W Storey

Oct 26, 2015
Welcome to EP!
even more info, motor TYJ50 Ac 220-240v 50/6-hZ 4watt 5/6rpm cw/ccw

Harry W Storey

Oct 26, 2015
Thanks Bluejets and Alec_t for your responses. I just had components lying about and I thought I could use them in my little project. I suppose the DC route is the direction. Many thanks once again.
Harry;)