Maker Pro
Maker Pro

AC hedge trimmer --> DC generator

lrdawg99

Jun 20, 2010
I'm need some basic instructions on how to convert my AC hedge trimmer into a DC generator. I've done lots of googling, but can't seem to find any good instructions. What kind of rectifier will I need? Is this project even possible? I don't hope to generate that much power, only enough to power for instance a laptop or cell phone charger. Eventually I want to add a gear to the drive shaft which i'll chain to a broken bike. For now, I just want to test the concept.

The motor is brushed. I'll post any other information you might need... :confused: :confused: :confused:

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
Well if I was you. I would first check to see that if the shaft of the motor is turned I was getting some sort of AC voltage out of it. As for the rectifier, you would only need a half wave bridge rectifier (2 diodes).

I don't know enough to say what the output would be from the motor

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Brushed AC motors (usually series wound) can be run on both AC & DC, and can generate DC as well - if you provide the stator winding with some DC current (initially).
I'm not sure how to best connect the windings, but you get DC straight out from the brushes. You may want to filter it somewhat before feeding it into electronics.
These are high-RPM motors and may need a substantial RPM to generate their rated power, but battery charging should be within reach. Tried some Googling yet?