Connect with us

AC Electromagnet

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Tejaswi, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Tejaswi

Tejaswi

Jul 23, 2012
    I would like to build an ac electromagnet that is powered by a dc to ac converter,and I would like to know about any precautions and design parameters I should keep in mind.

Some questions I have:

1.Suggest the dimensions for it..It must fit in a palm.
    2. Suggested gauge for magnet wire to use.
    3.2. How well should I insulate the core from the coil? Will one layer of
    electrical tape suffice? or two layers? or should I use some other
    insulating method?
    4.In case the insulation fails, can i use a fuse to short circuit it?
    5.suggested minimum resistance of the coil?
    6.Its range of attracting the objects must be around 1 m(or even greater)? What must I do for it?

I mainly want to use it attached to my palm for attracting the object(like a coke tin far away,cuz i'm too lazy to go n pick it up :p :p)
    All other suggestions for it still are welcomed..

2. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    I am not able to answer your specific questions however I would like to make the following points.

!. A DC electromagnet would be more efficient than an AC electromagnet.
    2. If it is hand held, it should be low voltage.
    3. The wire gauge will depend on the power and the voltage.
    4. Coke cans are aluminium and will not be attracted by a magnet.
    5.1m seems a very long distance.

3. Tejaswi

Tejaswi

Jul 23, 2012
    hmmm...okay...got it...nt a coke tin but any oder magnetic material??
    And cant we insulate it well to make it a hand held n still being ac electromagnet?

4. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    If you have DC power supply, why do you need the complication of going to a less effective solution?

Whether it is AC or DC makes little difference to the danger of leakage in a hand held device. It is the voltage which is important, keep it under 24V.

5. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    as said, a coke can is aluminium, no good for an electromagnet, you want a length of iron rod for the core of the magnet.
    you will need several 100 turns of fine ~ 20 - 26gauge wire on that core.
    electrical tape for insulation between the core and the windings probably wont work for if the power is turned on for some time then the plastic tape is likely to melt as the core and windings heat up.
    The wire you need to use will be enamel insulated which will wind onto a cylindrical core without damaging the enamel insulation

For a small handheld unit running on relatively low ( read safe) voltage you will pick up iron objects up to a few centimetres away. You would need an extremely powerful electro magnet to pick up something at 0.5 to 1 metre away ....example, the big ones on cranes at scrap metal yards.

not sure what your obsession with AC is ? forget it!! use your DC supply, it will work better

cheers
    Dave

6. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    On a side note, at least in the Chicago Land area, Coke has been known to do small test runs of coated steel cans even recently maybe 5-10 years ago now... They caught a TON of flack with recyclers for doing this, and they quickly dropped the test and returned to aluminum... If I remember correctly the last run they tested, had a coated steal can, but a pressed on aluminum top that really screwed up recycling...

7. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    we still see drink cans like that from some other manufacturers
    total pain in the butt

D

8. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    I couldn't help but chuckle when reading the 1 meter capability. The power supply and the magnet would be three times larger than the OP and I think that's a conservative estimate.

9. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Hey, maybe the OP is in a microgravity environment.

10. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    This one appears to be able to do about ½ meter :D

11. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    But can I have one that is hand-held?

Bob

12. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012