Maker Pro
Maker Pro

AC Adaptor replacement for AA Batteries.

MattR

Jun 3, 2013
Hello, I have 2 walki-talkies that run on 3 AA batteries each, and I would like to modify them so that an AC power supply will do the trick.

The batteries are in series in the walkie, and therefore in theory would be at:
3*1.5V = 4.5 V
I have several 5V adaptors I could use, and I wasn't sure if that would be too much voltage and bust the walkies.

Also, I used a meter on the batteries when in series, and they were giving out 4.1 V total. Should I just buy a couple 4V supplies to use, or would that not be enough?

Finally, Do you think a 1A supply would be enough? They are just little GE walkies.
They look like this:
http://digitalcontent.cnetchannel.com/d8/4f/d84fd998-f2dd-4e1b-bf29-ac2eea6578b9.jpg
I apologize for the dozen pixel picture. Thank you for any and all help!

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
the 5V probably isnt going to be a problem, yes 1A should be plenty
as long as its a regulated 5V ... an unregulated plugpack could be upwards of 10V

ohhh but you aint gonna have walkie talkies any more huh
you are not going to move away from the power point ... kinda defeats their purpose ;)

Dave

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
They will be sitty talkies !

If you are fussy, you can put a silicon diode in series with the supply. This will drop 0.6V or so thus a 5V supply will give 4.4V. The diode also has the advantage that it will protect against reverse voltage.

MattR

Jun 3, 2013
the 5V probably isnt going to be a problem, yes 1A should be plenty
as long as its a regulated 5V ... an unregulated plugpack could be upwards of 10V

ohhh but you aint gonna have walkie talkies any more huh
you are not going to move away from the power point ... kinda defeats their purpose ;)

Dave

The idea is to turn a couple walkies that I already have and do not use into an intercom system. We have friends living in the apartment down the hall from mine, and would like a way to reach them without walking over. We can just leave both walkies on all the time. So a 5V supply will do the trick? Thanks!

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
The idea is to turn a couple walkies that I already have and do not use into an intercom system. We have friends living in the apartment down the hall from mine, and would like a way to reach them without walking over. We can just leave both walkies on all the time. So a 5V supply will do the trick? Thanks!

ahhh OK that wouldn't be the best of intercoms ....
just remember its not private and anyone with other radios can share the channel you are on and listen in to your convo's
as well as you will hear every other conversation from others users of walkie talkies when they happen to choose the same channel you and your friends down the corridor are on
anyone maybe within a 5 mile radius of where you live

having it switched on all the time is probably going to drive you nutz with all the other chatter on the band during the day and night 2 am you mite hear ... " fred u out there mate come on back .... fred where the F**K are you u said u would be here"

do you really want to be woken up by that crap ?
something to consider ;)

Dave

MattR

Jun 3, 2013
ahhh OK that wouldn't be the best of intercoms ....
just remember its not private and anyone with other radios can share the channel you are on and listen in to your convo's
as well as you will hear every other conversation from others users of walkie talkies when they happen to choose the same channel you and your friends down the corridor are on
anyone maybe within a 5 mile radius of where you live

having it switched on all the time is probably going to drive you nutz with all the other chatter on the band during the day and night 2 am you mite hear ... " fred u out there mate come on back .... fred where the F**K are you u said u would be here"

do you really want to be woken up by that crap ?
something to consider ;)

Dave
Fortunately they are only 1 mile speakers. We could only pick up voice on one of the 14 channels. If we hear anyone else, we can always switch to a different one. Also there is no sound unless someone is talking on that channel.
Interesting note, the one voice we heard was a police officer describing cars and people going by :)

I would get a real intercom system, but this is something I can put together for $0 with parts I have around my house. I appreciate the feedback though!

Edit: Also, they would be in the living room, so at night the sound won't bother anyone too much since there are separate bedrooms.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
you made me giggle :)

just for your learning....
you don't think a radio signal just goes 1 mile and suddenly stops do you ?

radio signals don't work that way given some one else somewhere with a higher power transmitter and you may hear them from 20 miles away ... the flea power out of your transmitter may not be enough to get back to them. but that doesn't stop your receiver from picking up any other signal that happens to be in range :)

have fun

Dave