Maker Pro
Maker Pro

AC/12V power for Bluetooth speaker

JerkStore

Oct 14, 2016
i have an Ion block rocker Bluetooth speaker/radio. It functions fine when connected to AC. The power cord is a Mickey Mouse cord and the power supply is internal and seems to function fine. I am getting 13.6 V at battery with 2A Current. So it is charging the battery but when the AC cord is disconnnected the radio/speaker will not function on the battery. The battery is new. What I would like to know is the basic principle behind a circuit such as this. Thank you in advance.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
i have an Ion block rocker Bluetooth speaker/radio. It functions fine when connected to AC. The power cord is a Mickey Mouse cord and the power supply is internal and seems to function fine. I am getting 13.6 V at battery with 2A Current. So it is charging the battery but when the AC cord is disconnnected the radio/speaker will not function on the battery. The battery is new. What I would like to know is the basic principle behind a circuit such as this. Thank you in advance.

hi there

tis really difficult to visualise your setup
a couple of photos wouldn't go amiss to help us people help you

Dave

JerkStore

Oct 14, 2016
This is the main board right side where power comes in from supply. It connects on the other side to a 2 pin header. If battery is connected to where AC in is it will

IMG_0200.JPG

IMG_0196.JPG

image.jpg

work off of battery but when battery is hooked up to battery terminals on board I get nothing. Since it will run off of AC and DC I imagine there must be some kind of isolation between the two.

Last edited by a moderator:

JerkStore

Oct 14, 2016
There are three SS34 diodes there that are not all testing the same in circuit. All are showing the same forward bias. One is not showing "open" when reverse biased. Mostly I am concerned with the basic theory behind the isolation/switching of a circuit that is supplied by both. Common components used and such. I've had products that warn that batteries should be removed if running on AC and assume that's due to a lack of isolation between the two

JerkStore

Oct 14, 2016
So here is my dilemma. The isolation between the 12V DC supply and the AC 12 volt supply is bad. As the board is mostly surface mount components, component level troubleshooting is gonna be a bear. However, I do have a place on the board to input power from either and plenty of room to add a small circuit board and introduce my own isolation but am not sure how to design said circuit. The AC supply provides about 14.4 volts DC. I want it to function off of AC and charge a 12v 5ah, and run off of battery when not plugged in. Anyone have any suggestions on where to start? I have education in electronics and just want some general guidance

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
HI,
Sorry have been really busy, and surprised no one else chimed in to help

in this pic of yours ......

IMG_0196.JPG

I am assuming that is a transformer in the middle of the case that which is wrapped in copper foil ?

1) can you please cut the 3 zip ties and spread out the wires so it is easier to see what goes where and rephoto
2) rephoto, closer up, the back of the board showing where all those wires go to .... SHARP and WELL LIT
3) rephoto, closer up, the front of the board in the same area showing those diodes etc .... SHARP and WELL LIT

cheers
Dave

JerkStore

Oct 14, 2016
IMG_0207.JPG
Ok. Triangle is the speaker connector. Circle is the power coming in from the power supply(you assumed correctly and it is functioning). The two squares go to the power switch. It will charge the battery while plugged in and not turned on.

JerkStore

Oct 14, 2016
IMG_0208.JPG
This is the other side of the board labeled the same. To the right of the circle the two large solder points are the battery connection(B-) and just below the ss34 diode those two solder points are the other battery connection(B+)

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
OK thanks for that
I will ponder a bit, hopefully others with more spare time than me can also help ... I am at work for the next 8 hrs

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
ohhh before I go....

if there a part of the case that contains batteries ?
if so please identify the power cable from the battery section :)

JerkStore

Oct 14, 2016
If closer photos or part identification is needed feel free to ask.

Thank you and no worries. I'm laid up right now with a broken ankle so this is a more of a leisure repair. Providing I don't lose any parts in the process. Haha.

JerkStore

Oct 14, 2016
image.jpg
One 12V battery. Connects directly to board at B- and B+.

It does have an inline fuse that tests good and it is charging the battery when plugged in.