Connect with us

About Weller tips...

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Jonah, Dec 26, 2009.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Jonah

Jonah

Dec 26, 2009
    Hello all!

I have a somewhat of a problem, and was hoping to get from all you guys (or gals):

I just bought a used Weller WTCP-S station, which was said to have a new magnastat thermostat. I also got a few new tips with it. The problem is, that the tips (wich are the thin, spiky, and somewhat long ones, number 8's) seem to burn out really fast. I'm unable to re-tin them succesfully, since the oxidation becomes too heavy too fast. Is this normal, or is there something wrong with the station? The thermostat seems to click every once in a while, so it seems to be working fine. Is it just the thin tip that's causing the rapid burn-out?

If someone else has had similar experiences, I'd really appreciate some replys!

Thanks,

Jonah

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    I forget what temperature the number indicates, that matters.
    The thin tips are extra vulnerable but there are a couple of things I want to make sure you know.
    When you first turn on the iron with a new tip; be ready with fresh tin and apply it as soon as the tip is able to melt it.
    When you have soldered and are putting the iron in its holder; DON'T wipe it! (Many people do.) If you want to wipe it; do so immediately BEFORE soldering.
    When desoldering; apply fresh tin for every 3-5 pads desoldered.
    Being left hot & dry is the tips worst fate.
    There are some tip tinner/cleaners out there that are slightly abrasive and does a good job restoring tips. It's a stone hard paste in a small tin that you jab the tip into.

3. Jonah

Jonah

Dec 26, 2009
    I see...I think I did tin the tip before use, but I seem to have the bad habit of always wiping the tip BEFORE putting it on the stand. The number 8 is the hottest, about 450 degrees celcius or something! I switched over to the standard chisel-point, and no problems so far! It's a number 7, about 325 degrees celcius, which seems to be just right. Maybe it was just running too hot, with such a tiny, spiky tip....

Thanks so much for the input!

-Jonah

4. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Ah, yes, that habit + the high temp will definitely kill a tip in no time.
    I use a (variable) temp of 350 C for normal jobs (which can stay on all day), only going to 400-450 C for short bursts when called for (it takes its toll if hours pass).

You (& everyone else reading this) are welcome! Glad to help.

5. creakndale

creakndale

Jan 3, 2010
    Here's a link to an informative PDF titled: Extending Soldering Iron Tip Life

Well... the system won't allow me to insert a link until after my first post.

I'll supply the link in the next post, hopefully :(

creakndale

Ask a Question