Connect with us

About transformer?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by willysusilo, Mar 29, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. willysusilo

willysusilo

Mar 29, 2016
    Hi, I have 3 questions:

1. Which is better for output from the transformer, 18V-18V or 36V-CT and why?
    2. For grounding transformer to main powers, I have to connect CT to ground. Am I correct?
    3. Maybe this question is out of topic. Can I use LM317 as voltage regulator AC? (Like 36V AC)

2. Colin Mitchell

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
    Two separate 18v windings allows you to connect them in parallel to get a higher current.
    When you connect them in parallel, you put a 10R resistor between the two red wires and if it burns out, the leads are connected around the wrong way.
    Do it again and if the resistor gets warm or hot, the two windings do not produce exactly the same voltage and they cannot be put in parallel.
    The CT lead can be connected to the chassis of the radio if you want to but it is best to keep the whole power supply above ground.
    36v AC is too high for LM317.

3. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    Depends what final voltage you need, to use the LM317 you will need DC, no good for regulating AC.
    The Resultant DC from 18v will be around 25vdc after rectification and smoothing.
    Windings that can be paralleled are generally wound bifilar so they come out close to identical.
    If you want to modify a winding, add or subtract, then the Toroidal type is generally a lot easier to do this.
    M..

Ask a Question