Connect with us

A website i made

Discussion in 'Electronics Homework Help' started by resicalc, Aug 5, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. resicalc

resicalc

Aug 5, 2016
    Hello,

This is the first time a post something here, its a very nice place for finding usefull things about electronics.

For a school project i made a website that calculates the value of resistors.

www.resicalc.com

I would like your opinion

Many Thanks,
    Alex

2. Jouellet

Jouellet

Feb 2, 2015
    Nice project, but personally, I have a riddle that I use to remember the colors vs number ...

I would not be a user of your site.

3. Sunnysky

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
    0, TOLERANCE :5%, 100PPM
    brown brown black gold gold brown
    hmm
    I would not use it

4. Amar Dhore

Amar Dhore

Dec 2, 2015
    Looks good. A suggestion: After one hits the submit, along with the value of resistance, you can also show the selected color bands and its weight.

5. resicalc

resicalc

Aug 5, 2016
    Thanks for your comment ;)

6. resicalc

resicalc

Aug 5, 2016
    Thanks for your comment ;)

I had a bug in my code that was causing the problem but now seems i fixed it ;)

7. resicalc

resicalc

Aug 5, 2016
    This will be a feature in the next update ;)

Thanks for your suggestions

8. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Normally threads like this are degrees as spam and the poster banned.

I saw this thread just after you posted it and decided to let it pass. However I've now decided to move it into the homework section since you're asking for feedback on your homework (possibly before getting it finally assessed).

Let me give you a bit of sage advice about resistor colour code programs, web sites, and apps... There are bazillions of them. And very few people use them.

As you progress with electronics you assimilate things. One of the first is the resistor court codes. As you get older, resistors smaller, and eyes blinder, you may simply resort to measuring them to confirm what you see. When I think 68k I get a picture in my head of the bands I expect. (I actually have to think further to name the colours).

The only time it gets a little more difficult I'd when you have an E48, E96, or E192 value as I'm not so familiar with the preferred values in these series.

Several things which might be useful (and I mean *really* useful) are:

1. Flagging if a value is a preferred value, and if the tolerance is meaningful (e.g. An E96 value with 10% tolerance just ain't gonna happen)

2. Where a value is not preferred, suggest the closest preferred value in an appropriate series

3. Where the value is not preferred or where there are unusual discrepancies, try to figure out if a band colour has been misread. E.g. Reading brown black brown gold as red black red gold.

4. Identifying cases where the bands have been read backwards or where the reverse reading is also valid (there are very few of these)

5. Allow the option of entering the body color of the resistor. Pale yellow vs blue can make a difference to the perception of colours and hence the errors that may be made.

6. Note which bands may either be of different width or spacing.

7. Display the bands as they might appear on the resistor as confirmation.

8. Have a mode where it displays random valid combinations of bands (possibly reversed) for the user to decode in their head.

9. resicalc

resicalc

Aug 5, 2016
    Hello, i really appreciate what you said, i saw some really good ideas, i will try to implement on my website :)

Many Many Thanks,
    Alex

Ask a Question