Maker Pro
Maker Pro

A total dimwit question......

MadDogMcQ

Jun 19, 2012
Hi guys. My apologies for being a total dimwit and not knowing my voltage from my amps.

I'll be honest and admit that I registered here only to seek advice on what is probably a ridiculously simple thing.

I have a motorbike which has an indicator light on the dashboard panel, so low down that you just can't see it while riding the bike. Consequently, one can often leave the indicators on after the turn, which is both annoying and dangerous.

I don't want to fit a cissy-buzzer because everyone will ridicule me ;) so I'd prefer to place a warning light somewhere else on the bike (higher up). Because the original warning light is built-into the dash, there's no "tagging on to it.

Ideally, I'd like to break into the actual 12v indicator feeds and introduce a small single warning light that would flash regardless of which indicator was on.

I've just spent a while drawing a remarkably comprehensive and technical circuit diagram. Perhaps some Stephen Hawking prodigy could fill in the gaps for me :D

I thank you!

Tom

Attachments

• indicator.jpg
    indicator.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 138

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
Just add a diode from each signal line to your new indicator with the cathodes toward your new indicator. I didn't include the ground connection for the new indicator but I think you can figure it out. The diodes will reduce the voltage to the new indicator by 0.7V which should be insignificant.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Turn Signal Alert.png
    Turn Signal Alert.png
    80.1 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:

MadDogMcQ

Jun 19, 2012
MANY THANKS!

I'll pop over to the local electronics shop tomorrow and get a couple of diodes.

Thanks again.

Tom

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
You're welcome. You'll have a unique bike with a home made 2-input OR gate in the turn signal indicator.

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
I've just searched for that diode on MAPLINS and it didn't find it. Is there another designation??

Dont ever buy components form maplin unless you want to pay several times the normal price and have them arrive all bent and twisted (I've posted pics in this thread)

http://www.farnell.com is a good site. I get nearly all my stuff there. You can also try middlesex university - they have a limited selection of really cheap components available to order: http://www.mindsetsonline.co.uk/

Last edited: