Maker Pro
Maker Pro

A tip if the "upload a file" button does nothing

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
If you click the "upload a file" button and the image upload box doesn't appear, try minimising your browser to see if the upload window is behind the browser. @KrisBlueNZ reported this to me a few days ago and I passed it on to the developers of the forum software. It looks like it's related to the latest version of Adobe Flash with some browser combinations (FF mainly), as it happens on any flash upload box, not just this software.

This should be patched by either FF or Adobe in the next release I'd guess, as there have been lots of bug reports made now.

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
A fix has been created which will be rolled out in the next maintenance release of XenForo - this should be available soon, perhaps as early as tomorrow afternoon.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Hopefully that fix is robust enough to deal with the 'show desktop' glitch in windows 7

I've been using Chrome, and have not yet had any upload problems.
Having the upload button appear behind the browser window would also be caused by a misbehaving windows feature..
(Not sure if anyone had this, but the 'Show Desktop' button in the far bottom right corner occasionally messes up my windows by randomly setting them to 'always on top'.
I no longer use this button, as the only fix I have is to close and re-open the affected window.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com...ndows-to-be-stuck-alwaysontop?forum=w7itproui
I have also built a script with AutoHotkey to modify the 'always on top' window flag

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Hopefully that fix is robust enough to deal with the 'show desktop' glitch in windows 7
I doubt it! If that bug can affect any application window without the application's knowledge, I doubt there's anything that can be done at the Javascript or Flex level to change the behaviour.

BTW I've never seen that problem. But I don't use Show Desktop very much.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I doubt it! If that bug can affect any application window without the application's knowledge, I doubt there's anything that can be done at the Javascript or Flex level to change the behaviour.

BTW I've never seen that problem. But I don't use Show Desktop very much.
It's not quite that bad. The application is made aware of it, but that function is very rarely every used in most applications, so they are never built to check for that flag to be set.
I use winamp on a constant basis for playing my music, and it actually has a button to set 'always-on-top' mode which does actually set itself when that show-desktop bug presents itself.
Other windows like Chrome don't have an option anywhere to enable or disable this flag though, so you need to resort to a 3rd party program to set it for you, or you need to close and re-open the window. (It will start back up with the default flags set)

This feature is commonly used for splash screens and pop-ups, as they are intended to stay in the way to be looked at or dealt with.

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
It's not quite that bad. The application is made aware of it, but that function is very rarely every used in most applications, so they are never built to check for that flag to be set.
Ah, I see. So it might be possible for a scripting language to get access to that attribute and change it. But it's not really the app's responsibility to work around a Windows bug is it?
I use winamp on a constant basis for playing my music, and it actually has a button to set 'always-on-top' mode which does actually set itself when that show-desktop bug presents itself.
OK, I understand.

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
The FF problem with the upload window should now be fixed :D. You may need to press CTRL+F5 to get the new JS files though.

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
Seems to be good so far. Thanks Ian!

Reactions: Ian