Connect with us

A thermistor problem.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Shyamal796, Mar 25, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Shyamal796

Shyamal796

Mar 19, 2012
    I want to know in which process, i can use a thermistor with 741 op amp. How a thermistor work?

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Depends on what you are trying to achieve??
    A common use would be to set the op-amp up as a comparator where one input would be held at a reference voltage and the thermistor and a resistor acting as a voltage divider would be connected to the other input so that a changing temperature would cause a change in resistance of the thermistor and hence a change in voltage at that input

So what are you wanting to do ?

Cheers
    Dave

3. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Also important: What kind of thermistor? PTC or NTC?
    You could also try to build a thermometer, although you are likely to run ino some issues with linearity.

While your approach is interesting and even good hacking style: The engineering approach is not "I have a part, what can I do with it", but the other way round: "I have a problem, which part will help me solve it?".

Harald

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Good additional thoughts Harald. :) let's see what sort of response we get so he can be guided along the trail.

Dave

5. Shyamal796

Shyamal796

Mar 19, 2012
    Sorry sir, i'm not hacker.

6. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    What does this mean?

7. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    When I used "hacking style" I didn't mean to offend you.
    Hacking is used in at least two different ways, "bad" and "good".
    One is related to illegal activities as in computer hacking (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacking).
    A second meaning is related to using and modifying existing things for other purposes as e.g. here: http://www.hackaday.com/

My answer referred to the latter, "good" hacking.

Sorry I didn't express that clearly in my first answer.

Harald

Ask a Question