Connect with us

A question about diodes

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Gandy, Dec 12, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Gandy

Gandy

Dec 6, 2012
    If a diode as a transition voltage of 0.7V, what happens to this when multiples of them are put in series? Do the transition voltages add? Is there any way of adding transition voltages or making them variable with parallel and series diodes?

Thanks in advance.

2. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    This should answer your question.

the short of it is yes, if you have 2 diodes with voltages of .7V in series they will add together to read 1.4V

3. Gandy

Gandy

Dec 6, 2012
    Does that include both forward bias on non Zener diodes?

Cheers.

4. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    Yes, Zeners are just rated for their voltage and are usually higher voltage than regular diodes, regular diodes are more commonly rated for current and have a small voltage drop

5. Gandy

Gandy

Dec 6, 2012
    Thanks very much. I simulated a circuit in iCircuit using a diode as a voltage threshold and it worked fine, but I tried simulating this with two and four to see if it would double or quadruple the threshold but it gave me five times the voltage out, and I wondered if that wasn't how they worked. I can only assume it's the simulator not getting the idea if the forward transitions sum when in series.

Cheers.

Ask a Question