Maker Pro
Maker Pro

A few questions about coils from someone with no knowledge

xgabrielx

Jan 1, 2010
Okay, so I guess that more current means a stronger magnetig field, as does more turns in the coil. Obviously thicker wire allows more current, but fewer turns, because of limited space. I know the material the core is made from affects the strength...BUT surely it's not really affecting the overall "Amount" of the field and just focusing it all in a single direction? Is that right? I don't see how it could be any other way. If the actual field is somehow...more, then...HOW? Surely it can't be.
What other factors affect how far the field extends? I guess a longer core would allow more of the turns to be closer to the core, rather than winding them over existing turns, and I'm aware that winding all the way to the ends of the core is less efficient, because those windings nearer the end don't have as much of their field running through the core.
I'm trying to pulse a coil on and off at around 50khz. I guess an iron core would get hot at that kind of frequency, but I'm sure ferrite is more than fine with it. However...am I right in assuming that the ferrite is only increasing the field strength (And therefore distance, since it's the distance I'm more concerned with) in one direction? Presumably axially along the length of the core. BUT what does the presense of the core to to the distance the field extends in other directions? SURELY, it reduces it, right? Since you can't get something for nothing. No having your cake and eating it. (at least not at the same time, which that dumb saying doesn't seem to specify)
So to simply have a coil create a field as far as possible in all directions, (okay, not ALL, since I don't see how that would work, but, to extend in more directions than the same coil with a ferrite core) is it not better to use an air core? (Which I guess means a hollow coil?)

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
When you add a core to a coil of wire and you supply a current which create a magnetic flux in the core. Tiny magnets called domains line up and produce a magnet themselves, adding to the original magnetic flux.

Magnetic fields extend out to the far reaches of the universe, the reason why they may appear to only extend a few inches on a piece of paper with iron filings is that the strength of the magnet is reduced very quickly versus distance. It's quite possible for intelligent life forms on the other side of the galaxy to be watching the first episode of a 1960's television programme transmitted from earth. :)

The benefit of an air core is that it does not saturate like cores do when too much current is used. But to achieve the same inductance as a cored inductor the number of turns and or current would need to be increased.

Adam

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
A transformer has the core bent round on itself to constrain the magnetic field. The best configuration is the torroid but E I cores or pot cores are more commonly used.

To get a magnetic field further away, then use a linear core with open ends. An example of this, used for reception rather than transmission, is the ferrite (loop stick) aerial on transistor radios.

No intelligent life would watch 1960s TV programmes.:)

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013