Maker Pro
Maker Pro

A diode for my heating/hot water?

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
I'm still not sure how the thermostat is working in this instance. Can you take a picture of the thermostat wiring and label the picture so I can draw a mental picture.

This system seems ass backwards to all the ones I have worked on so maybe my opinion is not correct. Let's just assume for the moment the wireless thermostat is wired in between the controller and the valve. Why does that stop you from running the HW whenever you want? How did this system control the temperature before you added in the wireless thermostat? I would really like to help you out, but I just am not that confident how your system works exactly and what your overall goal is. It seems as if this system was not meant to have temperature control, until you added it???

Last edited:

dnalevy

Nov 16, 2011
Firstly, it could very well be backwards, judging by some of the other mess in this flat.

Secondly, the thermostat is a volt free wireless controller with 4 pins. 2 for AC power and 2 more which give continuity when the temp is right.

Its a Salus RT500 RF although the original wired thermostat that I replaced was wired in exactly the same way. Its a volt free thermostat that breaks between the Controller and the CH valve. It cuts into the wire coming from pin 4 of 2nd picture above. Pretty simple setup to me, not sure why its throwing you so much?

I didnt add temperature control-that was here, I just changed it to wireless, with exactly the same wiring setup.

My original problem is that the CH only works if the HW is ON. So effectively the CH thermostat is only any use if the HW is on all the time-unless I can find a way of controlling the HW with the thermostat, as well as having the HW come on at the timed periods to supply heat up enough hot water for water use.

Last edited:

dnalevy

Nov 16, 2011
This is now what I plan to do, hope it doesnt confuse you even more lol.
(and yes I know AC doesnt really have a positive, I just put it on there to make it clearer)

Attachments

• HOTWATER2.jpg
    HOTWATER2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 91

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
Well I am confused because all systems I have worked on don't use a timer. I get what your saying, but I don't understand why anyone would want to do that and as you have stated, makes temperature control less efficient because your wasting energy on unused hot water by being forced to run the boiler 24/7.

dnalevy

Nov 16, 2011
yessssss thats exactly the point. It seems that the thermostat was only added to the system later but with little thought. Maybe theres a better place to put it that would circumvent the whole problem?

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
I think you can keep the wireless thermostat, but if it was me I would look into new controls for your specific setup. But running the boiler less then 24/7 should easily pay for the cost of new controls and valves if needed. Something to think about.

Call an expert and get a quote, while he is there pick his brain and save yourself the labor.

dnalevy

Nov 16, 2011
lol thanks for all your help. I'm a tenant so not going to be able to make changes like that here.