Connect with us

A couple general questions about DCV to ACV

Discussion in 'Electronics Homework Help' started by dropkick03, Mar 29, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. dropkick03

dropkick03

Mar 29, 2011
    I'm sorry if this is routine or elementary, but I'm stuck and can't seem to find a solid answer to my questions. I'm not in school and but these questions were handed down to me from my boss. I'll go ahead and post them as they were written to me so you have all the info I do. Now, my questions:

1. What setting would you use on AC to test 2000VDC peak voltage? RMS Value?

2. If you are testing an alternistor rated at 600 volts DC, what do you set the AC tester for?

Thank you in advance.

2. Laplace

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
    Without going into the integral calculus behind root mean squared computations, realize that RMS voltage is the equivalent steady DC voltage that would produce the same heat dissipation in a resistor as the waveform for which the RMS value is calculated. While any periodic or random voltage waveform will have an RMS value, it is most common that RMS values are derived from a sine wave, i.e., AC voltage. The peak value of a sine wave is related to its RMS value by the square root of two (1.414) or its inverse (0.707). Note that polarity makes no difference since negative voltage produces the same amount of heat as positive voltage. Peak=1.414*RMS, RMS=0.707*Peak

In your questions the DC voltage represents a peak value, while you are trying to find the RMS value of AC voltage which has that same peak value.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  3. lexroxas

lexroxas

Apr 15, 2011
    1. What setting would you use on AC to test 2000VDC peak voltage?

I suppose you are referring to the setting of a voltmeter. You cannot set the voltmeter to AC when testing a 2,000-Volt DC voltage. You need to set it to DC setting that has a maximum scale of 2,000 VDC or more.

RMS Value? 2,000 VDC has no RMS value. RMS values refer only to AC. So you can't set your voltmeter to RMS and measure a DC voltage like 2,000 VDC.

2. If you are testing an alternistor rated at 600 volts DC, what do you set the AC tester for? Again, AC tester is for measuring AC voltage. If you want to measure Dc voltage then you have to use a DC voltmeter.

Ask a Question