Maker Pro
Maker Pro

9V Power Supply Amperage

Yoa01

Jun 18, 2012
Hi guys!

It's been a while since I posted here (mainly because I'm pretty sure I annoyed the lot of you to the point of ignoring me) and I've been doing various nifty synth projects on my own.

I've decided that, among other things, I want to build a Eurorack modular synthesizer (a small one) completely by hand. I have all the audio and most of the CV stuff figured out, along with sizes and racks. My only problem now is a powered bus board.

What I have is a series of modules that can run off of a 9V battery. Some of them require OpAmps, which need bipolar power supplies.

Here's my question: would it be better to create a +9V 0V -9V bipolar power supply or have just a normal 9V 0V power supply and put a special +4.5V 0V -4.5V bipolar power supply on the modules that need it?

I only ask because I'm worried about output voltages and volumes. Say, if I take the output of an oscillator, which has a +9V to 0V output, and plug that into a filter, which has the 4.5V bipolar power supply, would that overpower the circuit? There are various other combinations, but I'm sure you get the general idea.

bountyhunter

Mar 9, 2012
There are single supply op amps available. An Ac signal swinging 0 - 9V is the same size as one swinging -4.5 - 4.5

Yoa01

Jun 18, 2012
I know, I'm just trying to use what I already have. They act the same, though, right? I figured as much about the size. I assume the size is the same with DC signals as well?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Unless you are using rail-to-rail amps,. your +-4.5V supply will only give you a swing of about +-2V which might be limiting. I would go with +-9V, or use only rail-to-rail opamps.

Bob

Yoa01

Jun 18, 2012
I'll have to look into these opamps. Thanks guys!