Connect with us

9v Battery mystery

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by Robin lander, Oct 14, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Robin lander

Robin lander

Oct 14, 2017
    Hello. Firstly I have to point out that I am not an electrical engineer, or even particularly interested in electronics, but I have a particular query that I thought members of a group like this could help me with.
    I own a caravan and it is fitted with a thing called a motor mover. This is a device that moves the caravan wheels, and helps manouver it. It is operated by a remote control, so it is like a massive remote control car.
    Today remote was indicating that the 9v battery that powers it needs replacing. Now this is the thing, I have tried four brand new batteries right out of their packaging and not one of them will power up the remote. If I put the original back in, then it will power up (green light) and then flash red lights to indicate low power. All the new batteries are alkaline like the original. I have tried standard and pro power.
    I will be calling the units manufacturer on Monday.
    Cheers

2. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Do you have a test meter?

3. Robin lander

Robin lander

Oct 14, 2017
    Yes, a basic one

4. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Measure the battery voltage (disconnected) and also when it is connected IN circuit.

Some battery chemistries don't deliver a true 9V - many are 8.7V or something equally silly and the circuitry in the controller may be set for a certain type of battery. Whilst they may all be labelled as 'alkaline' there are usually differences between manufacturers that could cause this effect.

This all assumes, of course, that there isn't a real fault with the unit!

5. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    There are many brands and types.

Do you have more details or better still a photo or 2?

Ask a Question