Connect with us

90 degree brackets for securing PCB to panel

Discussion in 'Electronic Design' started by Jim, Dec 17, 2003.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I have an aluminium enclosure, 4" square by 1" high, with horizontal PCB
    runners along the inside of both sides. The PCB slots in ok but I want to
    attach the PCB to the vertical rear panel (removable) to stop it sliding. I
    do not want to drill any holes in the base of the enclosure.

    For instance, a small plastic 90-degree bracket with a screw hole on each
    side would be perfect. It's a very basic question I realise, but I've looked
    in Farnell/RS/Rapid and not found anything suitable so far, and Googling for
    PCB bracket etc. has been no more fruitful (wrong words?)

    Any suggestions please for something that is very low cost (few
    pennies/cents per bracket) either in the UK or anywhere that will export to

    Many thanks,

  2. default

    default Guest

    Search on "electronic hardware" as a phrase. There are lots of sites.
    Find one with a representative or distributer in the UK.

    If you are in production a metal shop can fabricate them. If you are
    a hobbyist you just need a tin can and some tin snips. More uptown:
    saw off a piece of angle aluminum extrusion (sold in hardware stores
    here), and drill holes.
  3. Syd Rumpo

    Syd Rumpo Guest


    If I understand correctly, you want to stop the PCB from sliding
    forwards towards the front panel. Glue something in the guide slots
    in front of the PCB, and maybe glue a strip of foam to the rear panel.

    Another way is to use self adhesive PCB guides - eg Farnell 154-647 -
    stuck to the rear panel. Although these are called 'guides', they
    actually grip PCBs tightly.

    Or use both methods.
  4. Just the job for those little right angle brackets that
    are used to secure a front panel to a plug-in eurocard.
    See RS 500-847, etc. You can even pinch the drilling
    places from the eurocard/panel specs.
  5. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Thanks Tony. That's exactly the type of thing I'm looking for. I somehow
    missed them when looking through RS.

  6. Don't forget that if you also need an i/o connector
    then a R-angle pc-mount D-type has two R-angle
    brackets built into it.... and the cheapest D-type is
    not far off the cost of two of those plastic brackets.
  7. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Thanks for the advice Tony. In fact the panel is to have a couple of phono
    sockets and a DC jack socket. I haven't found any that are both PCB and
    panel mount yet, or that would do the trick as you suggest. (Maybe I could
    use a very cheap D-Type or similar connector with no internal connections
    and mark it "service port"! ;) )

    BTW, I also came across this 90-degree PCB-to-PCB/panel connector:
    No idea on pricing/availabity yet though.

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day