Maker Pro
Maker Pro

85 watts or not?

heberjm8

Oct 11, 2010
Hello. I have a question regarding resistors and other components throughout a circuit we are designing. We are designing a solar panel battery charger with LED indicators for the battery charge status. Well I have noticed that the resistors we have been using are rated for 1/4 watt. However, our solar panel is rated for [email protected] amps and our battery is rated for 12V@7Ah. We will be using one circuit only connected to the solar panel and another only connected to the battery (both with 2 low current series connected 9v batteries to power LEDs) to measure the respective voltage levels. Anyways, I'm wondering if we should get resistors and components rated for 85watts or if our circuit components will be okay for short durations (minutes, not hours) at a time without failing (both circuits will be activated via switch). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
My first piece of advice would be to review this.

You may also need to review ohms law too. Indeed there are a series of tutorials on this site that you would do well to familiarise yourself with.