Connect with us

8/16 bit audio sequencer

Discussion in 'Audio' started by grimofdoom, Aug 3, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. grimofdoom

grimofdoom

Apr 4, 2016
    It has been a while since I have done much with electronics, so I though a good simple project would be a 8 or 16 bit audio sequencer- similar to the NES/much older games. I was thinking of using a 555 timer for the clock of a 4017 sequencer (or if I can find a larger one that has at least 16 steps). Then it will go through a simple on/off switch to a potentiometer(with an LED on the side) , then feed into another 555 timer to produce sound and alter the sound.

I then thought maybe I could make it more interesting. What about having a 3-way switch (think that is what it is called, where it switches from on1, to off, then on2), before each potentiometer. on1 would move a flat note directly from the sequencer. Then on2 would be a re-recordable audio- of 30 seconds at most. I have had no luck in trying to find an audio recorder ic chip that only does a small 5 seconds to around 30 seconds. It would be cool if it would support a separate clock so I can control the speed- then I can control it like the rest since it will feed through the same 555 timer as on1 would.

Is the audio-recorder a possible thing? I am pretty sure there is no cheap cmos chip for a small 5-30 second audio recording- but I could be mistaken. But overall, am I right in how I explained it for how it should work? I tried to remember the base schematics from this page , but some pieces seam odd for me.

2. dorke

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
    You can make a 16 bit "sequencer easily : cascade 2 CD4017s. it will get you 20bits.
    If more bits are required you can cascade more 4017s.

There are audio-recorder ICs like this one and others.

Ask a Question