Connect with us

7805.. hot. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by jgauthier, Mar 22, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. jgauthier

jgauthier

Mar 22, 2013
    Hey everyone,

I'm pretty new to electronics. so, be easy. I've taken most fundamentals course and have a good understanding, but I'm very limited on practice and experience. I learn best by experience, so I am doing things and trying to apply them to my book learning.

So, I am working on a project that requires 5 volts, at about 1-1.2A. My source is coming in as 12V. This is a hard requirement. On my breadboard, I am using a standard 7805. After my load is 100-150mA (sustained) my 7085 gets VERY hot. I understand why this is, but in the end my load is going to potentiall be 1.2A. the 7805 is rated for this but the package size I am intending cannot possibly handle the 10lb heat sink I would need on this :)

Anyway, I am looking for advice.. there has to be a better way. I want to take 12V to 5V, at 1.2A without creating a fireball. Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much!

2. GonzoEngineer

GonzoEngineer

Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  3. jgauthier

jgauthier

Mar 22, 2013
    That's great. Thank you. $15 is a little pricy, but I bet that's common feedback!

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Where did you get $15? The part linked in that post is $4.30.

Bob

5. GonzoEngineer

GonzoEngineer

Dec 2, 2011
    The $15 part is from some assholes that take the $4.30 part from Digikey and put
    a cute little label on it and resell it.

Read post #18 for the Digikey part number.

(Sorry, BobK, I didn't see your post above this.)

6. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    To be fair I believe the $15 are custom PC boards under the wrapper, they will do a run in any voltage if you buy in bulk suggesting a custom design...

But, yes if you need a fixed common voltage just get the ones from Digikey, I only linked to the other company because I had a bookmarked it several years ago and had it handy...

7. jgauthier

jgauthier

Mar 22, 2013
    Thanks! I don't know how I missed the $4.30 part.

Ask a Question