Connect with us

74HCXX Series logic

Discussion in 'Datasheets, Manuals and Component Identification' started by Xenophotean, Jun 25, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Xenophotean

Xenophotean

Jun 22, 2013
    Hello,

Recently I have been looking into creating my own computer based off of the Z80 processor. I have been reading up on the subject and have seen that quite a lot of glue logic is used with 74HC(T)XX logic. Rather than tediously look through every single item on the wiki list,
    7400 Series List, I would like to abridge this list down to the essentials. I know AND, OR, NAND, NOR, NOT chips, but is there any more specific chips or even list of chips that would be useful to invest some money in to get 10-20 of each and fill a component box, instead of blindly picking them out of this huge list?

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    NAND, NOR, and inverters tend to be the most common glue. If you need AND or OR you can place an inverter (or use a NAND/NOR as an inverter) at the output.

However, you might need various flip flops and NAMD/NOR with differing numbers of inputs (although 2 input gates are used very frequently).

It may be best to look over a number of circuits to see what is commonly used.

In addition, you may find that sometimes devices with open collector (or open drain) outputs are used, or they may be line drivers, or they may have tri-state outputs.

3. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    You may already know this, but the family designator is important also when building
    your circuits.
    The HC denotes high-speed CMOS, and the T denotes compatibility with standard
    TTL (transistor transistor logic) circuit family.
    As you begin building circuits, you'll find the need over time, to supplement the most
    common types of IC's with more special-purpose IC's in the 7400 series family.

4. Xenophotean

Xenophotean

Jun 22, 2013
    I did not know that about the HCT family. I just assumed you would go with one family and stick with it. When I was in college the only family we were exposed to was the LS series, and thought nothing of it until I went to purchase some of my own to create a kit. It seems as though the most readily available parts are HC or HCT. One such place I have been trying to acquire samples from is NXP, since they seem to have a comprehensive list of 74 series logic, but they have such strict sampling policy that it seems near impossible to even get a few. I guess I will have to have a read through both of the datasheets to see compatibility, etc.

Thanks for pointing to the NANDs and NORs, I remember taking a logic design class years ago and working with these trying to push the "bubbles" back using DeMorgans.

I was hoping to get decoders , multiplexers, and flip-flops also since these seem to be the most useful parts from what I can remember.

Ask a Question