Maker Pro
Maker Pro

71/72 IBM Selectric Repair

JosephDaniel

Nov 13, 2009
I have two Selectrics with two different problems.

The 72 returns in the wrong direction.

The 71 will type a character, then type the number one. It alternates between the keystroke you actually make, with the number one (or exclamation point, depending on if you are holding the shift key or not). But each key alternates independently. So, if you hit the X repeatedly. The machine will type x1x1x1x1x1x1, and so forth. So, if you type a complete sentence, depending on which alternation the keys are on, you may end up with all ones, or all correct letters, or (more likely) a seemingly random conglomeration of ones and letters.

Any thoughts on how I can fix these issues?

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
I have no experience with these but I suggest you start out with measuring the quality of the power supply. (DC voltage levels and their ripple levels.)

Albalate98

Aug 3, 2012
I have two Selectrics with two different problems.

The 72 returns in the wrong direction.

The 71 will type a character, then type the number one. It alternates between the keystroke you actually make, with the number one (or exclamation point, depending on if you are holding the shift key or not). But each key alternates independently. So, if you hit the X repeatedly. The machine will type x1x1x1x1x1x1, and so forth. So, if you type a complete sentence, depending on which alternation the keys are on, you may end up with all ones, or all correct letters, or (more likely) a seemingly random conglomeration of ones and letters.

Any thoughts on how I can fix these issues?
I assume that both machines are what was called Selectric I, but can you tell me what is the difference between model 71 and model 72?

To try to repair the problems you are having you will need a set of Bristol wrenches and a hand crank.

Thanks and regards.