Connect with us

6xAA = 1 9V ok for DMM?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by NuLED, Jun 13, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. NuLED

NuLED

Jan 7, 2012
    So for my DMMs which use 9V cells, is it OK for me to rig up a 6 x AA batteries with the 9V battery snap-on thing, attached to the 9V snap-on in the DMM (other way around of course).

Will that work, if I have no 9V batteries on hand? (I can't close the cover of the DMM of course).

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    That's fine, however be aware that the input terminals are almost certainly not isolated from the batteries so DO NOT measure dangerous voltages and beware of unintended shorts.

3. NuLED

NuLED

Jan 7, 2012
    You mean because now the batteries are exposed out of the casing, the risk has increased, correct? (Not because there is anything otherwise special about the circuitry when powered by an external pack, with the cover open; just want to be sure of my understanding).

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Correct. The batteries are always connected the same way, it's just that now you can poke them with your fingers etc.

5. NuLED

NuLED

Jan 7, 2012
    thanks Steve

Ask a Question