Connect with us

6v 500ma dc adaptor

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by jonh70, Oct 10, 2012.

1. jonh70

jonh70

Oct 10, 2012
    I need to buy an adaptor to fit a radio bought as seen, do adaptors with a set voltage and millamp have the same fitting or do I need to check the plug size?

2. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    You will need to check the plug size and whether it is center positive or negative, take a picture of the plug and we can tell you pretty much everything

3. Jamie7

Jamie7

Sep 28, 2012
    john70,

Greetings! :)

If you live in the USA, you can buy a universal power adapter that has multiple
    tips so you can fit the tip you require. The tip is reversable to allow for oposite polarity on the center post. Radio Shack carrys these adapters in stock. You can use anything 500ma and larger. Addtionally, a regulated supply is best rather than unregulated but both will most likely be okay.
    There are many online sources also.
    You might try EBAY or your local electornic outlet.
    Even Walmart or any similar store would have this.

Well, good luck andhave a great day. Jamie7

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  4. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    Those typically run in the 20-40 dollar range, while a specific transformer will only cost... a couple dollars? with a little extra work

5. Jamie7

Jamie7

Sep 28, 2012
    Greetings,

I suppose price versus time required could be a consideration here.
    I looked up the prices of a Universal adapter on EBAY and there is
    one with multiple output voltages selling for $9 including shipping.

I would venture to say that the price is more like $9-$12 at a local
    outlet.

I suppose time spent being creative could save a few bucks but there
    probably isn't more than a couple bucks difference in the two types.

In my opinion, if I was in a hurry, I would buy the universal adapter and have the
    added advantage of applying it to other items I may own. This would be handy since
    it has multiple votages on it. If I bought a specific unit for each item it would be more
    expensive.

Well have a great week ahead...

Best Regards, Jamie7 :)

6. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    Have you ever looked at them in store?
    A few months ago I was looking for one and I went to about 15 different stores, not one of them had ANYTHING under $25 and all of those were EXTREMELY cheaply made, as in 2 of the brands friends had acquired previously and in less than a year they failed, or the voltages were too far out of spec, I ended up getting 2 specific ones on Digikey for a lot less than that and much higher quality ones, voltage is near perfect open circuit and under load, and current is again right where it needs to be.

I understand where youre coming from with speed and ease, but from experience I would much rather get a few good specific ones for various devices rather than a cheap multifunction that may last a few months? if that?

7. Jamie7

Jamie7

Sep 28, 2012
    Greetings,

In my experiences I have not had the misfortune of the events which befell
    you so I suppose we have a different perspective on things here.

I suppose if one wanted a highly relaiable transformer they would pay much more.
    I think the quality of a singel transformer voltage does not guarantee a better unit.

Well, to back up my statement on the multiplle voltage unit for $9 here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-PLUG-500m...ravel_Adapters_Converters&hash=item5896e434e8

I suppose the end user must decide ultimately on his choice. May he suffer the best of luck in his endevour.

Have a nice evening, Jamie7

8. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Yeah, they should include a tube of lubricant if you purchase them over the counter at Rat Shack... The wall warts are about $20-$30 alone and they charge an additional $7 for the plug/tip.... You can realistically end up spending nearly $40...

A word of advice on the multiple voltage ones, I personally advice against them... If the switch ever gets bumped (pet, vacuuming, etc) the voltage can be changed and *poof* goes your device all because of an innocent bump...

Also on any of the plug in tip ones, I strongly advise that you use some electrical tape or adhesive heat shrink to secure the tip so that it doesn't fall out, again a little bump or pull can be a huge annoyance when the tip falls out......

9. Jamie7

Jamie7

Sep 28, 2012
    Greetings,

I suppose if it was "Made in the USA" we would all be happier and not bantering
    about quality??? I wasn't born yesterday and I am fully aware of the pros and cons
    and differing quality of units.
    Seems like "Made in China" or any other named country is our preferred choice these days. I feel sad that we all must act like bobble heads to make a point.

I suppose that the end user did not specify price range or quality of unit or place of origin so I assume my response is as appropriate as another.

As for quality of unit, do you do a full and complete study of any unit you might recommend?
    Yes Radio Shack is not known for the highest quality as for almost all retail outlets.
    We are powering a radio here not a piece of medical equipment or spacecraft.

Where seasoned and long-time members are concerned, I would think that professionalism would outweigh ego in most instances.

I enjoy being a part of this forum. I look forward to continuing my pursuit to offer good and sound advice as applicaple to the task at hand.

Good evening to "All", Best Regards, Jamie7 "Come-back...."

10. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Huh? I'm just giving my opinion on the huge raping markup Rat Shack has vs getting something online... I simply can't stomach the over the counter prices at Rat Shack unless I absolutely need it that day, for what Rat Shack charges for a wall wart I can overnight one from Digikey or Mouser or Amazon and still be ahead on cost...

I would not say the 'preferred' choice it's the economical choice and we are mostly a price driven society... When you factor in cost vs quality there are MANY time that IMO the country of manufacture or origin is irrelevant in the decision... I have had plenty of turds made in the USA and I have had many gems made in China, you really have to take it on a product to product basis...

With 99% of all wall warts you are unlikely to find solid performance or valid quality ratings, they are simply cheap disposable consumer items no one cares to rate them... Price is an irrelevant factor in determining quality, experience and testing your particular units is really the only way to validate them...

Read my signature for that answer... If I have real world experience with an item I will sometimes give my opinion and review of that particular item, but again it's just my experience and no one should not take my experience or option as the God written gospel...

Honestly I beg to differ, I find a majority of Rat Shack stuff to be just fine... What they lack in many cases is competitive pricing and/or proper or full item documentation...

Huh? Where is this perceived ego you are talking about? Please elaborate? All I see is valid cometary based on options and experience, not ego...

Then why complain that there is 'ego' when a contrary opinion or experience is given that is based on experience and facts? Some might call the complaining it self as that 'ego'...

11. Jamie7

Jamie7

Sep 28, 2012
    Greetings,

I have read your comments.
    I have absorbed your demeanor.
    I have nothing more to add.

I shall forge ahead and contribute in the spirit for which forums were designed.

I am sorry that I was stupid enough put myself in any position to defend at all.

Perhaps I will be much wiser in the future....

Perhaps your vision and mine on this forum differ in respect that I am here of my own choosing and if it bothers you then for the good of those in need of this forum to resolve their issues, perhaps I will resign my efforts so that I do not tread on you and yours.....

"I just thought I was doing good!!" Ha!:)

Best to you Meho, Jamie7

12. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Hey guys

everyone just take a deep breath :)

Jamie, you will always find lots of varying opinions on ways to do things on forums
    Dont take these opinions to heart. :)
    Cocacola wasnt attacking you personally, he was just stating his experiences with what he has discovered over many years working in the field

As long as we all keep our input as factual as possible as to avoid confusing any question asker (not just this thread) even more :)

cheers
    Dave

13. Jamie7

Jamie7

Sep 28, 2012
    Davenn,
    I am new on this forum and my only intentions were to help others to the best of my ablility within my scope. I did and do not wish anyone hard feelings nor do I wish to bash anyone. Rather work together and along with other members. I find it refreshing that you took an interest in this issue and perhaps I misread other members actions as atttacks since it was so excessive and unending.
    I am a laid back person and I have many skills and I can find stuff on the internet quickly and efficiently most of the time. I will also go the extra mile for anasker if required. I certainly think I am qualified to help many users. I have also designed over 40+ products for consumer and industry for the last 34 years so that has to count for something.
    Well, based upon your response today, I will give it a go once more and try to be in tune with everyone.
    Thanks for your time, Best Regards, Jamie Jamie7

14. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    you are welcome :)

tis good to have you onboard

Dave

15. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Jamie you have to let go of the assumption that a contrary opinion or experience is an attack when it's not (possibly a small language barrier?) If you keep that assumption around here you are likely going to find yourself with the perception of being beaten to a pulp and left for dead in the back alley as there are several trains of thought to be found for simple task around here...

For example in my post I gave 'reasons' why I disagree with what you said about the adjustable wall warts, and pointed to specific examples of the real prices of wall warts in retail shops (at least in my area)... I simply echoed what GG had stated based on my first hand experiences in trying to get a reasonably priced one locally... Been there and done that and from experience it's a whole lot harder than it would appear unless you want to pony up the Rat Shack premium... And I also gave what I consider a valid reason to shy away from the multi-voltage ones, again based on experience as I have made a few items go *poof* using the adjustable wall warts due to innocent or inadvertent mistakes... If you disagree and heck even if the OP disagrees they are free to do so, but based on my experience my concerns are still valid to me and probably others but that doesn't make them an attack...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
Ask a Question