Connect with us

5v solar charger

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by bpgoss1, Mar 23, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. bpgoss1

bpgoss1

Mar 23, 2013
    so i have a simple solar charger that i built using a 7v solar panel from radio shaq. The thing is connected to a regulator and then a usb port.

1. I've heard some usb charging phones require that there be some kind of resistors on the data pins of the usb plug. Haven't found this to be the case. Charger seems to be charging fine,

2. the output current is only max 25mA. Is there some kind of regulator that takes the excess voltage and converts it to current rather than dissipating as heat? Or does that not make any sense?

unrelated: are there such things as 1.5v aa lithium ion rechargeable batteries? would like to power my zoom h4n field recorder and am tired of memory effect on nicd and nimh bateries.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    1 - Yes this is true for many Apple devices that look for certain impedances in order t determine the capability of the charger.

2 - The current is determined by your solar panel in all likelihood. Yes, you can use a switchmode regulator to convert the extra voltage to current, but at these low currents it's really not going to help a lot (and you've not got a lot of excess voltage in any case. More importantly, to get the best from a solar panel you need a MPPT regulator (maximum power point tracking) which tries to get the current right in order to get the greatest available power. However this isn't really compatible with an external device that has its own current demand.

unrelated - No.

Ask a Question