Maker Pro
Maker Pro

5v Bluetooth Audio Receiver Overheat Issues

_Nate_

Jun 12, 2017
I recently got this module off of eBay to use in my Bluetooth speaker project. After following a guide by Great Scott, I had successfully built my speaker. Everything worked fine until the power of my speaker suddenly faded and I was left with a funny smell. I found that the microchip that lays across the shorter dimension of the board was extremely hot. When I tried turning the speaker back on, there was a constant stutter. I assumed that I fried the board but I decided to attempt lowering the voltage of my 7.4v 700mah power supply with a buck converter. I messed around a little and found a "sweet spot" between where the board would actually power on and where the board wouldn't stutter. This, however, still made the board overheat. I am looking for anyone with any experience with this module or any idea what's going on here. If any more specifics are needed just ask. Thanks!

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
but I decided to attempt lowering the voltage of my 7.4v 700mah power supply with a buck converter.
So you weren't running the board at 5V to start with?

No wonder it blew up!

_Nate_

Jun 12, 2017
So you weren't running the board at 5V to start with?

No wonder it blew up!
It didn't "blow up"
The tutorial from Great Scott did not have any regulation in voltage from 7.4-5v, in fact he used a boost converter.
As stated above though, I used a buck converter to get the voltage just on the edge of operating voltage, so pretty much exactly 5v, and it still overheats.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Everything worked fine until the power of my speaker suddenly faded and I was left with a funny smell. I found that the microchip that lays across the shorter dimension of the board was extremely hot.

That's all she wrote. You let the magic smoke out and need a new module.

However your post was sorely lacking relevant info such as what module, what is this Great Scott project, etc. Some day the internet will invent a way to post links to things but until then, you'll have to use ASCII art. :D

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
did not have any regulation in voltage from 7.4-5v
The device has a micro USB for power...... since when did this port use anything other than 5V? Where were you applying the power if not through the micro USB port? Even the bottom of the board shows 0V/+5V..... not 7.4V or anything else.

The Great Scott video:
shows him using 3.4V from an 18650 (pair) wired through a boost converter set to 5V output. Still no mention of putting 7.4V into the BT module......

The magic smoke, as above, has been released. If you sniff it enough it makes you purchase a new BT module - which should be used with the correct supply next time :p