Connect with us

5V and 12V from cigarette lighter socket

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by [email protected], May 17, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I want to know if it is possible to have a dual power supply coming
    from the cigarette socket in your car. I need to have a 5V and a 12V
    supply for a motherboard (EBX form factor) that I want in my car. What
    I would really like is to have one cable into the box that is holding
    the computer, which will then split into the two required voltages.

    Thanks in advance,

  2. steamer

    steamer Guest

    --All parts available at Radio Shack; I'm doing this to run
    various Stamp applications on a small art car. Getcher self one of
    those cigarette lighter 3-way splitters, then plug in the various
    transformers that RS also has, to change voltages as needed.
  3. Guest

    Yeah, I thought of that, wouldn't it also be possible then to run the
    one cable (12V) from the car into the computer box, and then split the
    voltage through two wires (like the splitter) to regulate one line down
    to 5V and keep one at 12V? That way, if I need to run it out of the
    car, all I need is a 12V DC supply?
  4. steamer

    steamer Guest

    --Um, yeah, I think so... ;-)
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day