Maker Pro
Maker Pro

5V AC adapter in place of 3V AC adapter?

Tiger2

Sep 25, 2014
Use 5V AC adapter in place of 3V AC adapter
I have 5V AC adapter with USB connection on one side and the two plugs for the AC outlet on the other. My appliance (Small fan) says it needs 3V AC adapter. I only have 5V (output) AC adapters.
I plugged the appliance into the USB port of the 5V adapter and plugged the AC adapter into the AC wall outlet. And the appliance is working.
Is it okay to use the 5V AC adapter in place of the the 3V AC adapter, which I do not have?
Or do I have to buy a new 3V AC adapter?

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Your call.
Almost ALL THE TIME mixing voltages like you did is a bad idea. It could result in immediate failure that could result in smoke or even fire. Other times, it results in a shortened life of the appliance.
Very rarely you will find that this works, but only if the difference is small, and usually only on simple appliances or products.
Your fan is a simple device, and the parts used may be able to tolerate the higher voltage... but be warned from what I said above. Without knowing for sure if the part is rated for it, it could burn out in the next 5-minutes, or it could last another 5-weeks.

Tiger2

Sep 25, 2014
Your call.
Almost ALL THE TIME mixing voltages like you did is a bad idea. It could result in immediate failure that could result in smoke or even fire. Other times, it results in a shortened life of the appliance.
Very rarely you will find that this works, but only if the difference is small, and usually only on simple appliances or products.
Your fan is a simple device, and the parts used may be able to tolerate the higher voltage... but be warned from what I said above. Without knowing for sure if the part is rated for it, it could burn out in the next 5-minutes, or it could last another 5-weeks.

Thank you.
I looked on Ebay for a 3V AC adapter plug that has USB port on it, but couldn't find one. They all seem to be 5V. I was typing AC Adapter 3V (or USB 3v wall charger, etc.) on Ebay but did not see any ones with USB on them.

Last edited:

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Well.. the other option is that the fan is labelled incorrectly.
There is not such thing (or there should be no such thing) as a 3V USB anything...
USB is 5V, and always will be. It is a standard that all devices must comply with.

This means that you should not be able to find an AC adaptor to 3V with USB, If you do find it, don't buy it.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Did the fan actually come with a USB connector on it for power, or did you put that on it? Do you have a link to the fan?

Bob