Connect with us

59 ohm resistor

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Jon Germany, Feb 14, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Jon Germany

Jon Germany

Feb 14, 2016
    I am trying to repair a alarm system i own but i need to replace a resister thats gone off value due to getting hot. Its a 59 ohm - 1 watt - 5%. I have looked everywhere on the net and found nothing better than 250ma in 59 ohm's. Can anyone help with either a 1 or 2w resister please

cheers
    Jon

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
  3. Jon Germany

Jon Germany

Feb 14, 2016
    Thanks for the reply Dave but the minimum order quantity of 2500 is a bit more than i need.

4. Externet

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
    Welcome.
    Use two 120Ω paralleled, or any values that sum your needs in series. Discarded switching power supplies or other equipment may have suitable values. Canibalize.

5. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
    Jon . . . . . .

How in the world could a common alarm circuit really,really,really require a "59" ohm value of resistor yet be so liberal as to spec it at %5 tolerance?
    Is that value printed on the part or using color bands ?
    Those bands could shift coloration when being subjected to heat, particularly near the central hotter area.
    Orrrrrrrr . . .could a purchase agent got "such a deal, already" on 5000 "59" ohm resistors., that was what got bought.

A more commonly available 56 or 62 ohm should fall just within your tolerance spec.

If I actually have need for such an odd value resistor and actually being in a critical resistance function.
    I get a just higher resistance value of a very liberal wattage above the subscribed wattage and then parallel shunt it with a higher and lower wattage
    resistor to trim right to that desired resistance.
    In this case getting a 62 ohms value in a common 7 watt metal film resistor and being shunted with a 1/2 watt metal 1200 ohm unit will yield ~ 58.954 ohms,
    with compensation of tolerance variations needing to be considered.
    With that "cushy" 7 1/2 watts power spec . . . . . its then running at "cool city".

73's de Edd

Aside:
    L o o o o n g time . . . no see no "external-net" . . . que pasa ?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2016
  6. Externet

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
    Que pasaaaa Edddddd...:)

7. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    you sure .... many buy in singles or small Q's from digikey

but Externet's way is the best way to go

Ask a Question